Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Dust rules in Hero Of North Africa

Nick DelCorpo

I have been throughly enjoying my new copy of Heroes of North Africa. With that being said the dust rules are a little confusing (at least to me). To remedy this , I have done a little research on the few other squad level tactical games, and of course taking into what I think Jeff Lewis's intentions are after reading the rules as they are (considering those written for smoke as well) and came up with the following house rules.

As a vehicles moves across sand it generates dust. While moving on hexes designated sand (which is all desert terrain unless stated otherwise by S.S.R.) place a "Dust 1" marker into the hex as the vehicles enters it. The vehicle will continue to generate "Dust 1" markers in sand hexes provided the hex entered from was also a dust hex. Thus a vehicle will have two dust markers with it at all times, 1 marker occupying the hex it is currently in, and one from which it entered, again provided it too was sand. If a dust marker occurs in a hex already containing a dust cloud, place a "Dust 2" marker, this acts exactly as "Dust 1" excepts effects are doubled, to 2. A "Dust 2" is the most dust which can occur in a single hex.

Anytime an ordnance weapons that uses a 'To-Hit' weapon fires in a hex containing a "Dust" marker, immediately remove the "Dust 1" marker at the conclusion of the fire (the dust still effects the attack unless conducted by a currently 'Assault Moving' and firing vehicle). The exception would be 'Assault Movement', which if you fired after moving would dissipate the cloud(before the attack is calculated), otherwise it would stay, giving the -1 to any OF conducted from the hex later on in the turn.

The rest of the rules are pretty clear, Dust is degrading terrain, level 1 height, and has a negative effect on fire not only going through or into a hex that contains it, but also attacks that originate from it (-1 DFT, +1 to OFT to Hit rolls, per Dust marker, either 1 or 2).

Finally the markers would be removed at the conclusion of the Operations phase before beginning the next turn. The only exception would be those vehicles marked with 'Continuous Movement' which would remain with a "Dust 1" marker until they moved in the following turn. This is of course my two cents only and I welcome any critiques or thoughts.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jeff Lewis

Nick, it seems like you understand the Rules as Written (RaW) quite well. As far as movement, you summarized it perfectly, so I don't see the need for your rewrite. The rest of the RaW are also perfectly clear. It's on the next turn's Op Phase that you would remove the Dust 1 marker if the vehicle fires (ordnance or MGs) and doesn't move. Your interpretation is way off. Unless you are just disagreeing with it all on principle?

As far as Smoke rules, the Smoke rules in 4.1 are the Smoke rules. The Beta rule is just that: a Beta rule. It's not official (and not my idea).

Nick DelCorpo

Thanks for the clarifications Jeff, after re-reading that section it was a lot clearer (prob a comprehension thing on the reader's side and not the writer's). As for the smoke rules, I haven't seen the beta yet, I was just referring to the fact the -1 is subtracted from the DFT when firing out of a smoke hex, same as one containing dust. Not sure what was meant by "on principal?", just a guy who likes playing boardgames trying to get some clarification on a rule, I have no axe to grind, and think you do a great job with the system.

Jeff Lewis

Thanks for the clarifications Jeff, after re-reading that section it was a lot clearer (prob a comprehension thing on the reader's side and not the writer's). As for the smoke rules, I haven't seen the beta yet, I was just referring to the fact the -1 is subtracted from the DFT when firing out of a smoke hex, same as one containing dust. Not sure what was meant by "on principal?", just a guy who likes playing boardgames trying to get some clarification on a rule, I have no axe to grind, and think you do a great job with the system.
Firing in or out of Dust through the vehicle's covered arc or MMU's front-facing 3 hexsides does not have a -1. My interpretation of your post was that you were disagreeing with the Dust rules on principle, and were offering your own rewrite. If this is incorrect, I apologize.