Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Eastern Front... where are we ?

kipanderson

Hi,

when last here, few years back, Eastern Front fever was building :).

Any hope?

Fantastic to see Command Ops still doing so well," The" operational wargame! But missing the number one operational setting :).

Looking forward to working my way back into Cops.

Thanks..

All the best,
kip.

john connor

Hey Kip. One of the devs was working on a small 'EF' set - set in Manchuria, Japan v Soviets - but that and all the other work on any grander EF projects (the Chir river scenarios) has been set aside, paused, stalled for a long while now whilst work is done on an update dealing mainly with Attack code (plus other things). The newest western front pack - Bradley at Bay, which has been ready to go out for a long time, bar testing with said new update - was also paused because of that. The new update is not even being beta tested yet, and hence I wouldn't say there's much hope for any EF developments in the offing. Devs can correct me if I'm wrong.

kipanderson

John, hi,

Thanks for the update.

Great game, hopefully, one day there will be reignited enthusiasm from the developers.

We can only keep our fingers crossed.. :).

All the best,

Kip.

John, hi,

Thanks for the update.

Great game, hopefully, one day there will be reignited enthusiasm from the developers.

We can only keep our fingers crossed.. :).

All the best,

Kip.
Any user who has invested in the game software and takes the time to research the timeline, force structure. geography. weather and strategic support / supply constraints for the situation can develop a scenario. Virtually all of the scenario packs are the result of dedicated historians using the development tools provided to create the scenario situations.

kipanderson

Hi,

Just to make clear that there was no intention to be disparaging in my comments. Am a huge fan of the game and an ex-tester.

When it comes to the Eastern Front WWII just happen to think it “the..” setting for operational warfare:). In common with many for the oft repeated and well-known reasons.

Years ago, maybe four or more, Dave did say he had to code loading and unloading troops, plus other matters, before COps would be ready for the Eastern Front.

Hoping COps goes on and on but does move east one day:).

All the best,

Kip.

john connor

Any user who has invested in the game software and takes the time to research the timeline, force structure. geography. weather and strategic support / supply constraints for the situation can develop a scenario. Virtually all of the scenario packs are the result of dedicated historians using the development tools provided to create the scenario situations.
But not everyone wants to design scenarios, of course, Jim, fun as it might be - some just want to play them.

john connor

Just to make clear that there was no intention to be disparaging in my comments. Am a huge fan of the game and an ex-tester.

When it comes to the Eastern Front WWII just happen to think it “the..” setting for operational warfare:). In common with many for the oft repeated and well-known reasons.

Years ago, maybe four or more, Dave did say he had to code loading and unloading troops, plus other matters, before COps would be ready for the Eastern Front.

Hoping COps goes on and on but does move east one day:).

If Dave is checking in here at all, I would quite like to hear what the official take is on this sort of hope. It's a long time since work on Chir, mounted ops and all that sort of thing was put aside. Is there any plan now for you to get back to this, Dave, and produce the EF pack, mounted ops etc, or can we more or less stop hoping for these developments? It would be nice to know, actually.

Arkadiy

This mounted ops thing seems little overhyped as Jim pointed out in a post on Steam boards. Motor-rifle battalion of a tank brigade does move around on trucks most of the time, you know :) And depending on the year, infantry-armor cooperation may not be what people think at all - 1942‘s hot topic in RKKA operational documents is for tankers to blame infantry and the other way around.

But not everyone wants to design scenarios, of course, Jim, fun as it might be - some just want to play them.
Of course, some like to play the game rather than build scenarios,.

I'm pointing out it doesn't take a dedicated group of the CO2 team -- the developers -- to create scenarios.

Any player with an interest in a battle's history and an ability and desire to research the details can be a "scenario developer" using the tools offered with the game engine.

If they want a more formal and broader distribution of their work, they can contact Dave to work out the business details of building a scenario for commercial release and receiving the evaluation benefits of the beta team.