Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

End Ops cards in Frankfurt game

Melahn52

I participated in a game of Drive on Frankfurt this past weekend. We opted to use the Battalion cards, which resulted in fewer formation cards in the deck. On at least two occasions, we pulled the second End Ops card before several formations sitting on the first End Ops card had a chance to activate. According to the 2.2 rules no formation would fail to activate more than two turns in succession. That happened at least twice during the game after only one End Ops card had been shuffled back into the deck ( in one case the second End Ops was the third card drawn in the reshuffled deck. ) Did we miss something ?

Keith Tracton

Staff member
I participated in a game of Drive on Frankfurt this past weekend. We opted to use the Battalion cards, which resulted in fewer formation cards in the deck. On at least two occasions, we pulled the second End Ops card before several formations sitting on the first End Ops card had a chance to activate. According to the 2.2 rules no formation would fail to activate more than two turns in succession. That happened at least twice during the game after only one End Ops card had been shuffled back into the deck ( in one case the second End Ops was the third card drawn in the reshuffled deck. ) Did we miss something ?
Sorry yes. You would need to have removed two of the three end ops phase cards, not one. Once all the formations that didn't go the previous turn had been activated than both cards are returned to the deck, and the turn can then end.

Thanks for playing! And will there be an after action Report??

Melahn52

We were playing the Drive on Frankfurt scenario that only called for two End Ops cards. Nonetheless, we had two occasions where the reshuffled deck with only one End Ops card in it had the result of two turns in which several formations failed to activat. So, did we screw up?

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Hmmm. Well I am unsure how the turn ends if there is only one card in the deck? The second card remains out of the deck until all formations that did not go the previous turn have gone. The mechanic is designed so that the turn cannot end until the second End Operations Phase card is back in the deck and so can be drawn.

Melahn52

I guess I’m not explaining what we did clearly. When we drew the first EndOps card, we placed the several formations that had not been activated on that EndOps card. We took the cards that had been drawn and shuffled them into the deck which still contained one End Ops. That remaining End Ops card was drawn before all the formations that were sitting on the first End Ops were activated. So, that second End Ops card ended the turn even though there were unactivated formations remaining, right? Those formations that had not activated should have then been placed in the available formations box along with those that had been activated to begin the next turn. Is that correct?

Keith Tracton

Staff member
AH! I think I understand. So here's how it is supposed to work:

When you pulled the first End Ops Phase card, well, nothing should have happened: no HQs placed on the card and especially no cards shuffled back in the deck, as the Phase was not over yet. You continue to pull for activations. To be clear, when the first End Ops Phase card is drawn, its just a warning that the NEXT (i.e., Second) End Ops card drawn ends the phase. Its when that SECOND End Ops Phase cards is drawn that you end the phase, and place any as yet unactivated HQs on it.

If you do that, during the next turn, that second card does not get shuffled into the deck until all the HQs on it have been activated. The result, bearing in mind the above, is that the turn cannot end as long as the second End Ops Phase card is not in the deck.

(If the scenario has three End Ops Phase cards in stead of two, you hold out two cards and place the formation HQs on them. Again, with only one card left in the deck, the turn cannot end until all the HQs are activated and the two remaining cards go back in the deck.)

Does that help? :)

Melahn52

Yes, your explanation resolves the confusion. That, along with everyone else in the group taking the time to actually read the rules, will improve our next game.