Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Extracting forces the are on retreat recovery

BigDuke66

Having now done almost finished the 8 days of Greyhound Dash I saw more than once that units retreat, fall back in the process of a retreat recovery but end up in a spot where the still get shot but direct and/or indirect fire.
They don't get enough fire to make them rout but they get enough so that they can't seem to recover, so the situation is that they sit around till the sun goes down and onces the fire stops because they are out of view the recovery runs through and you can finally use the unit again.
Makes one BEG for smoke ammo.

I just wonder if I do something wrong here or if there is simply a check missing that brings the unit far enough away to a spot where it can properly recover from retreat.
I toyed around with various settings in the task dialog but I couldn't get them moving again when they were in retreat recovery.
Any clue how to do?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
It's a difficult problem. Back in 2004 when we released the original HTTR, the AI would retreat again if it came under fire during retreat recovery. But then we found they would keep running back quite away and everyone complained about that. It's a difficult balance between having the unit extricate itself but do so without heading for the hills. If you have a save whee this behaviour occurs we can step through it and see if we can tweak things a bit better.

BigDuke66

Ok maybe this save will do it, I had ordered the Führerbegleitbrigade to attack Marche on the left map edge, and from that save on it played out the way that the attack was stopped half way between FUP and the city with all units ending up in retreat recovery, I tried to extract them over the day also by hammering all the Allied units with artillery i the hope that there fire and artillery fire stops but that didn't work, I was only able to get them moving again when the visibility got lower in the evening.

Now how much control should the player have over a unit in retreat recovery?
I understand that the initial retreat is basically out of control so to say but after that I had expected to get them moving again, so question is whether the player should have some kind of order to fold the attack and let the units fall back to the FUP or if the game should let them automatically fall back further if a unit takes fire.

That is now a rather early save were the situation is just unfolding, so tell me if you need a later save.

Attachments

• AutoSave #6.zip
    595.2 KB · Views: 1