Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

first impression / questions and thank you the team

kowalski marc

Hi every body,

This is my very first post on waragame forum. Fifty years old i'm back, again, on game after again a long time. Playing advanced squad leader since i'm born i think (really since 14 years old and old SL) ... I have been looking for a long time a modern fun and realistic tactical wargame. I test MBT (good game but...i don't realy know too complicated (said a player of ASL)... not enough nervous... perhaps very hard in solo...)). I also play other games like panzer grenadier and the old GDW first battle (good one but oldies) ... and i just bought World at war 85. and after two test game i said is very very good and balanced, i think.

I read every post on this forum and yes is very difficult for russian with only 1 card in "small" scenario: NATO move fast, fire often... very hard but NATO error is dramatic (i test the idiot move and the result was here). Adjust with designated formation will be a good balance and this is the rules in large one.

Yes artillery is devastating for MBT too, the Russians used since WWII (NATO don't stay in group...) and shell is less expensive than a MBT... NATO used it to compensate is number... (Russia must stay in large group...)

I'm also interesting in the evolution of the armaments for a long time. and the statistics that you used are really realistic i think. NATO technology is the best but Russian is not far away. modern Russian APFSDS can kill NATO MBT in 1985 and after i think (russian don't stop is evolution after end of USSR...) and missile with number or good use can be deadly even on composite / reactive armor (see Yemen war or Syria war... bad use of tank and them missile and shaped charges is very deadly... remember Grozny ).

No combat results table for the fight was one of my fear for this game but D6 work very very well. Better than i think YESSSSS. (really happy after first game). Very good art work too :maps board counters all is on top.

After studying the rules it is possible for me to suggest adjustments. The community seems to be very active on this point and I think it's a good thing.

10.6.9 composite/reactive armor: I will suggest extending this possibility to AP infantry fire and recoilless rifles. they used shaped charges too. for the infantry there may be another explanation which excludes this application of this rule (?).

The assault action allows this application to be dismissed by the fact that the infantry is positioned to fire on the vulnerable parts of the MBT not protected against shaped charges (street fighting is very deadly for MBT).

mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">concerning the BMP-1

mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"> I would authorize it to use its HE fire against MBT (but without long range) the shaped charge of 73mm being as effective as the sagger but less precise (one man turret not a team like the 73mm RR counter...). 73mm gun is used to compensate for the not effective short-range problem of the sagger missile.

Bastion, Kobra, Svir, refleks MBT gun missile : the USSR to compensate for the "short range" of its weapons used laser-guided missiles fired from the gun. the game presents in particular the 100mm missile with a marker for the T12. it is undoubtedly difficult to represent the use of two different technologies on the same counter and the use of specific counter for each tank would have a significant cost and would weigh down the game board.

EN">T-80 counter indicates AP 12-3-4 So do these numbers include in your calculation the missile fired from the gun?
mso-ansi-language:EN-US">
After a first evaluation (without knowing your algorithm) the Kobra like bastion (Kastet) would give 14-3-4, the Svir 14-4-4 and the Refleks 16-4-4. so all of this fairly close to the values indicated on the counter but with a Heat and missile value and not AP. 4 more Hexes for the Refleks however.

If it is not integrated in the counter a generic counter could be added, a little as in ASL for Panzerfaust, using the numbers from the turn table with a possibility of use 1 to 1.5 per MBT on map (FRD) at because of the low number of ammunition of this type available. two types of ammunition could thus be integrated at a low cost while remaining very playable.

Finally and because this game is so much although we want even more, adding to the future extensions more modern counter like you did for the M1A1 rather available from 1987 (i think) would open the game towards even more possibilities (T90; BMP-3 BTR-90 M1A2 Leopard 2A6 ... yes not realy the good décade). I know for a small beginner I want a lot but I have so much the impression of having the game which corresponds to what I have been looking for a while ... and alas modern fighting has not been lacking for the past 20 years.

Many thanks to you guys for this tremendous work.

PS : sorry for my english but like all french or almost i only speak one language... and not always very good:happy::happy::happy:

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Thanks for your kind words, in whatever language! I (we) am so glad you are enjoying the game!

10.6.9 composite/reactive armor: I will suggest extending this possibility to AP infantry fire and recoilless rifles. they used shaped charges too. for the infantry there may be another explanation which excludes this application of this rule (?).

The assault action allows this application to be dismissed by the fact that the infantry is positioned to fire on the vulnerable parts of the MBT not protected against shaped charges (street fighting is very deadly for MBT).

For Infantry and recoilless rifles, and all smaller anti-tank weapons, using shaped charges is factored in: the weapons are numerous but not as effective, thus rarely a chance of an outright kill versus Heavy Armor (MBT). There is no way to kill in one shot when the armor is fresh and the infantry or RR only roll 2 dice, not 3).

And yes Assault is more effective for the reasons you point out!

If it is not integrated in the counter a generic counter could be added, a little as in ASL for Panzerfaust, using the numbers from the turn table with a possibility of use 1 to 1.5 per MBT on map (FRD) at because of the low number of ammunition of this type available. two types of ammunition could thus be integrated at a low cost while remaining very playable.

That is exactly what we have, a separate counter, called an Alternative Armament Support Weapon. It adds the missile capability, and the ammunition load is smaller for the Soviet MBTs so they tend to run out of it faster. :)

Finally and because this game is so much although we want even more, adding to the future extensions more modern counter like you did for the M1A1 rather available from 1987 (i think) would open the game towards even more possibilities (T90; BMP-3 BTR-90 M1A2 Leopard 2A6 ... yes not realy the good décade). I know for a small beginner I want a lot but I have so much the impression of having the game which corresponds to what I have been looking for a while ... and alas modern fighting has not been lacking for the past 20 years.

True, no lack of wars, alas. I can only say we shall see, as there are a lot of initial fronts to cover in WWIII to start. But certainly, ideas flow for a modern version, sci-fi, etc, wherever platoon level ground combat can be found or imagined. :)

Thanks again and Enjoy!!

kowalski marc

Thank you,

Ok for AP infantry and RR i understand the choice. again very good work.

and yes!! i find the counter SNIPER playing scenario 19 the rhine :woot::woot: