Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

First impressions => requests

rocketman

I have begun to enjoy the game (engine only so far) and two things came to mind: 1) one more zoom level (requested by others) and 2) a rewind function as you easily miss action taking place somewhere else if you want to monitor one area closely.

Otherwise I was really intimidated by the game at first, but soon found that with some basics in place I can get going and learn the game step by step. The UI is really good and some tools are excellent (like LOS).

rocketman

First of all, if there is a rewind option, you should not be able to change any orders, just watch the action.

The intimidation factor is a combination of me not having much experience with operational war games (I mostly play Combat Mission) and a lot of information/potential information on the counters. It takes time to understand them, which ones are appropriate in what situations and so on. It also requires a whole other way of thinking in the bigger scheme of things. This is what attracts me with the game so there is a learning curve to it. It is a great thing that the AI (both your subordinates and the enemy) is so advanced. A game like this "lives and dies" by how the AI performs.

So, to sum up, the indimidation will wear off with experience and time. I just need to get into the tutorial again (seen the videos) and the manual. I had the same experience with Combat Mission, once to the point of nearly giving up. Glad I persisted. Heck, after playing their games for almost 10 years, I'm still learning.

It would be of great help if there is a book/web site to learn about operational strategy/tactics. Any suggestions?

Joe98

There are a series of tutorials on Youtube named Command Ops.

Kurt

Daz has released some fantastic AAR's that are a great learning tool , check them out in the " resources " tab

J. van Limpt

I've bought the game and several scenario packs only recently and I'm playing the scenario about the 116th Panzer at the moment. I like the 'feel' of the game, but I still have a lot to learn. What I would like to see is the exact amount of casualties, instead of the message 'taking casualties'. It helps to keep track of what happens to a unit and how serious the situation is. Apart from that I'm really enjoying this game.

rocketman

I've bought the game and several scenario packs only recently and I'm playing the scenario about the 116th Panzer at the moment. I like the 'feel' of the game, but I still have a lot to learn. What I would like to see is the exact amount of casualties, instead of the message 'taking casualties'. It helps to keep track of what happens to a unit and how serious the situation is. Apart from that I'm really enjoying this game.
I like the idea of being able to guage the amount of casualties.

Recognition

Website
twitter.com
Yes a casualty msg in amounts report with a separate casualty box ( total to date ) would be very nice and add a lot to the game for me.

83Reforger

A Field Commander at Company level hasn’t the luxury of knowing how many casualties he’ll receive by enacting an order of attack.

Make your moves the best way you see fit and if you don’t like how many casualties you took, try something different.

83Reforger

If we hesitated every time to make a tactical move because we felt the casualties would be too high, we would have no business leading men into battle.

crazy10101

I'm with rocketman; it would be great to know what sorts of resources other people using the engine have seen when it comes to doctrine/tactics for the period.

Just using the tutorial scenario as a starting point, for the first two assaults into the bridge and the hilltop town, how would a contemporary commander plan it out? Daz's AAR has the mech. infantry push into the bridge, with the infantry sneaking around to the right flank and attacking through those woods (and continuing up the hill to the town, after), whereas the armor is set on overwatch for the bridge assault, then runs north to trap units retreating from the hill town. I can't tell how much of this is "game-y," vs. being a plausible plan for the era. And if/when things diverge from how they go in his AAR (considering it's probably a few engine versions ago, it's almost certainly a when), how would I go about deciding what my options are, and how to continue forward after?