Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FIXED 5.0.10 - CTD when reattaching CCA 4 Arm Div Base in St Vith Tutorial

Beef

I've been able to repeat this problem three times after noticing during a CTD that it was right after I pressed the reattach button for the unit "CCA 4 Arm Div Base" in the St. Vith tutorial.

Version 5.0.7
Playing as Allies with Historical Weather, Standard Reinforcement and Normal Supply Schedule.

After giving orders as follows:
>35 Tank Bn -- move to an defend northwest at hilltop IVO X8336 / Y6368, Line Formation, 500m frontage
>1 Bn / 318 Inf Regt -- probe northeast across river in successive line formation to X9228 / Y5296
>51 Armored Inf Bn -- @0710 hours - move south of and then secure crossing at Steinebruck (successive line)

Once 35th and 51st are in contact I move CCA 4 Div Arm Div HQ to town of Elcherath. I also give individual movement orders to 66 and 22 Arm FA Bn to locations nearby Elcherath (south and east of town), and also individual movement orders to the AAA Bn and the CCA 4 Arm Div Base to a location just east of Elcherath (btwn the town and woods further to the east).

After the units arrive I reattach them (the two FA Battalions, the AAA Bty, and then the Base unit) by selecting them on the OB dialog and then clicking Reattach on the ORD dialog. Whenever I reattach CCA 4 Arm Div Base the game crashes to desktop.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Welcome Beef. I tried reattaching the Base, albeit I didn't do all of your instructions. I didn't get an error. Can you please send me the recording where this happens. You should find the recordings inside the Recording sub directory of your Command Ops 2 directory. Please note that the game makes a recording each time you play but it overwrites any previous recording. So if you find something unusual its best to make a copy of the recording and rename it before playing again.

Alternatively if you don't have a recording for this particular instance a save taken just prior to the reattachment would be helpful.

Recordings sub dir.jpg

Beef

Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached a replay file as requested. This replay is a little variation of the movement of units as described in my original post, but the game does CTD after reattaching the base unit.

Attachments

• game-recording.zip
    94 KB · Views: 1

Beef

I waited until I was notified the base unit had completed it's movement and right after that reattached it. For the life of me can't recall if I paused or not when I did that this time. My guess is no.

Beef

I will be away from home over the weekend and will respond with a saved game file by 25 Mar. I apologize for the delay.

EdJaws

Got it to CTD twice. No set pattern except to reattach artillery every time seems to do it while the game is running. Second time was with the 22 art. Both times in the beginning of the game.

EDIT: got it to happen in Manhay Crossroads scenario. Use the art. a few times manually and click to reattach and CTD.

Attachments

• game-recording.zip
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

EdJaws

The reattach CTD seems pretty easy to recreate at least for me on my system. I've only seen 2 other reports so folks either aren't experiencing it and/or don't manually control/reattach artillery.

Figured I'd try to dig deeper and get a save game this time and right off the bat got a CTD at 7:35 game time in the St Vith scenario. After manually tasking the 22 Arm FA BN to bombard the crossing twice, I clicked the reattach button and the game CTD.

The crash dialog Problem Details:
problem event name: APPCRASH
application name: CmdOps.exe
application version: 0.0.0.0
application timestamp: 550ba2dd
fault module name: CmdOps.exe
fault module version: 0.0.0.0
fault module timestamp: 550ba2dd
exception code: c0000005
exception offset: 0006dfc
OS version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
local ID: 10033
additional information 1: 0a9e
additional information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b9532
additional information 3: 0a9e
additional information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b9532

I've included a save game and recording. Hope this helps.

Ed

Attachments

• AutoSave #1.cog.zip
    77.4 KB · Views: 1
  • game-recording.cor.zip
    79.5 KB · Views: 0

EdJaws

I didn't use the reattach key if that's what you mean. I used the on screen dialog to reattach.
I do believe I had the fire support, main menu, and orders dialog open. Nothing else.

Yes game was running.

EDIT: check that,,, I may have had the unit info dialog open too.

EdJaws

No worries, mate. In fact, being retired, I got the time. Just hate to have you waste time on this if many aren't experiencing the crash. I can live with letting the AI control the artillery.

I tried to use my save I sent you and after about 15 minutes fiddling with it I couldn't get the game to crash. So I just started a new St. Vith scenario and after about another 15 minutes of RL play time it crashed. Here's what I did...

Set the 51st and 318th to assault the crossing and used both the 22nd and 66th artillery to manually bombard various location at the crossing and Lommersweiler. During that time I arbitrarily reattached both artillery units and issued manual bombard orders a few times. Eventually it crashed which, at least on my system, I can get to happen quite frequently.

I had the following dialogs open: orders, force info, edit task, order of battle, fire control. I'll test again with fewer dialogs open to see if still crashes as I'm not sure that's the problem.

Attachments

• image3047.png
    image3047.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 3

EdJaws

Looks like at minimum the orders, force info, edit task, and fire support needs to be open on screen for the crash to happen. The first few hours of game time I only had open the orders dialog and it didn't crash.

My game speed was set to medium the whole time and I used the orders dialog to bombard and reattach. However long it takes in real life, probably around 15 to 20 minutes, to get to 11:56 a.m. on day 1 is when it crashed.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Attachments

• screeny_01.png
    screeny_01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

MikeH

I've experienced this also. After some testing this afternoon I've been able to consistently produce a CTD using the following steps:

1. Start a new scenario
2. Give any unit a new order (move a unit a good distance, arty bombard any where, etc.)
3. Edit the task to get the Edit Task dialog (this is the key to the CTD)
4. Open the Orders dialog
5. Start game running (doesn't matter what speed)
6. Reattach once the unit starts to perform the order
7. CTD occurs

If the game is paused when the reattach is done the CTD will occur when the game is started running again.

Forgot to mention. If the Edit Task dialog is closed before the reattach the CTD does not happen.

Last edited:

EdJaws

I think MikeH hit the nail on the head with the problem being the edit task dialog. I just had a crash trying to change the formation from in situ to line of a unit that was recently changed to being attached to it's HQ.

Beef

Just updated the game engine and had the reattach CTD while playing the St. Vith scenario. This time I was reattaching the 66 Arm FA Bn at 8:55 game time, with the game running at double ">>" speed. I've uploaded the recording. Hope this information helps.

Attachments

• game-recording 032815.zip
    86.5 KB · Views: 0