Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FIXED 5.0.8 - Crash to desktop

Website
springelkamp.nl
I started giving my first orders in Return to St Vith, recommended settings, allied player.

I gave the boss a defend in place order.

I gave an attack order to the left forward batt., forgot to press shift to set the waypoint, deleted the order, gave the attack order again, using shift to set the 1st point, and keeping shift, set the second point. Then I clicked Secure Crossing and at that moment I got a Windows message box: Command Ops stopped working and will be closed.

co2-ms-1.png

Co2-callstack.png

Website
springelkamp.nl
I can reproduce this crash with the actions described above.

A bit more info:

- I chose the scenario, and side.
- I open the command window and place it on the right side of my screen
- Select a unit, then up arrow to go to the boss
- Defend order, on location of boss
- right click to open task details, move it to the right side, chose option 'in situ'
- Select the left front battalion and give an attack order a bit to the front of the HQ
- Select task, delete key
- Press shift and hold, click a bit to the front, then on bridge while holding shift
- Then I already heard a windows sound, but the crash came only when I clicked the 'secure crossing' checkbox.

Website
springelkamp.nl
So now I avoided this crash (probably caused by a missing final waypoint for the attack).

I played a few hours game time of the scenario, all going well, but then I got this crash, while just watching the action in the middle speed setting:

Unhandled exception at 0x009647FB in CmdOps.exe: 0xC0000094: Integer division by zero.

call stack:
CmdOps.exe!009647fb() Unknown
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for CmdOps.exe]
CmdOps.exe!007982a1() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!00798329() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!0078ef25() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!00792a01() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!0078f5ed() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!006dd875() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!0084bf56() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!008d8762() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!007d60e9() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!0067b86c() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!00482775() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!0051c36e() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!0051c4d7() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!0051c1b8() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!0051bf58() Unknown
[External Code]
CmdOps.exe!005e7ced() Unknown
CmdOps.exe!005e7d7a() Unknown
[External Code]

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Erik,

Thanks for reporting these issues. Crashes are the most important bugs to stomp on. :)

First off, if you have separate bugs and in this case separate crashes, then can you please create separate threads for each. That way I can better track what's been addressed.

Second, what do you mean by the command window. Can you please have a look at the dialog title and let me know what it says. Thanks. Alternatively a screen dump would help immensely.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Erik, I've reread these posts of yours and I see that they do probably relate to the one issue - ie the game crashed when you checked the Secure Crossing box on the EditTask dialog. I'm assuming this was the Tutorial, correct? I have tried to repeat the step in your first post but to no avail. The steps in the second post must be missing something because there would be no active Secure Crossing control on the dialog because it would still have been relating to the Defend order you originally gave. Somewhere I assume you either selected the attack task or you dismissed the original Edit Task dialog and opened another one for the attack. But either way I didn't a crash.

I need to be able to get this to repeat reliably. Can you please try again and this time take some screen shots - hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard and then switch to a paint program and paste it in. then save it as a jpeg file and upload it with your post here. Best to take a shot as you do each step. Hopefully then we can get to the bottom of it.

Website
springelkamp.nl
Erik, I've reread these posts of yours and I see that they do probably relate to the one issue - ie the game crashed when you checked the Secure Crossing box on the EditTask dialog. I'm assuming this was the Tutorial, correct? I have tried to repeat the step in your first post but to no avail. The steps in the second post must be missing something because there would be no active Secure Crossing control on the dialog because it would still have been relating to the Defend order you originally gave. Somewhere I assume you either selected the attack task or you dismissed the original Edit Task dialog and opened another one for the attack. But either way I didn't a crash.

I need to be able to get this to repeat reliably. Can you please try again and this time take some screen shots - hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard and then switch to a paint program and paste it in. then save it as a jpeg file and upload it with your post here. Best to take a shot as you do each step. Hopefully then we can get to the bottom of it.

- Chose the scenario, and side.
- Open the Orders Window and place it on the right side of the screen
- Select a 51 II, then up arrow to go to CCR.4 X
- Defend order, on location of boss
- right click to open task details, move it to the right side, chose option 'in situ'

CO2crash-1.png

- Select 51 || and give an attack order a bit to the front

CO2crash-2.png

- Delete by pressing Del key.
- Click Attack order again.
- Press shift and hold, click same place as before, then on the bridge objective while holding shift
- Clicked the 'secure crossing' checkbox in the task details window.

CO2crash-3.png

Crash

The clue is somehow: click waypoint without shift, delete, then giving 2 waypoints with shift, without a final waypoint, then secure crossing, but maybe the previous action on the boss had effect or the movement of the windows.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Erik,

Your step by step instructions and the screen dumps were terrific. I found the cause. It's to do with the use of the Shift key. You had it down while you placed the additional waypoint. But in doing so you invoked the code to update the selection in Edit Task dialog. Alas there is a test in that code which only updates the data correctly if the Shift key is not down. Because it was the task never got updated properly and hence we get an access violation which results in a crash. Now that I have found it I need to devise a different test within the TaskEdit Update code that won't clash with the use of the Shift key.