Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.
Playing Heroes of the Pacific scenario. An 4F wildcat arrives immediately after a round off board artillery fire lands. His selected flight path will take him through friendly implemented FFE hexes to hit his target.
1. Per the rules, FFE effects all units moving through the hexes regardless of side.
2. BUT by the rules - FFE/Indirect Fire is NOT Anti-aircraft fire/"Marked Blue",and therefore should not attack or disrupt the aircraft's flight.

Hence - we played it by strict rules that FFE zones cannot harm aircraft; but we also play tested the effects of flying through an FFE zone and attacked the 4F's armor rating of "2" as if it was a buttoned up armor vehicle moving through small arms fire - per the effects of mortar/He indirect fire on vehicles. It received no TM for altitude/elevation, but did receive -1 modifier to hit due to moving.

In the real world aircraft attempt to avoid indirect fire zones due to both the threat of shrapnel from below and rounds arriving from overhead; There are real world instances of this... but it is certainly not unusual for close air support to brave areas under indirect fire suppression in order to conduct their attack.

So which is the correct approach? Are fixed-wing aircraft conducting attack runs immune to the effects of indirect fire-for-effect zones?

Last edited:

Jeff Lewis

V4.1: page 51: The plane is considered two (2) levels above the highest terrain as obstacle in its flight path.

Ok. Now, I get that nowhere in 18.0 or on TEC is there anything about height as obstacle of FFE. Smoke is Level-2, so let's go with that. And I'll make a note to add something RE this to 18.0

And no pilot would fly into that.

Concur... assume the plane would find a way around it or over it. I'd assume deconfliction of fires would occur for simplicity. Thanks.
Or are you saying the plane cannot go through it?