Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FP Dice / To Hit Number / Save Dice / Save Number

Sgt. Hulka

All -

Apologies if this seems silly or a simple question that anyone who can read should know. But when I read the TEC and the rules, I am not reading some items as being crystal clear. So here we go:

Does being concealed (10.6.13) impact the number needed to save or the number of dice rolled? The language states "+1 Defensive Bonus", which I read as being a "plus one to the number rolled on the dice" and not more dice.

But just above it, ATGM Direct Fire at a Target in Blocking Terrain (10.6.12) states "+1d6 Defensive Bonus". I interpret that to mean "one more dice" and not "roll a d6 and the number that appears is your defensive bonus applied to your roll."

In those two examples, we have a term "defensive bonus" being used. But does it actually mean the same thing? Is it really "Number of Defensive Dice Rolled" vs. "Number needed to pass?"

In playing the game and reading the rules, it would appear to me that very few things modify the number needed to hit or save (save is my term). There are more adjustments that cause more dice to be rolled. If there was a clear table that identified this, it might help folks out.

Thanks for reading a potentially ignorant post!

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Not at all! It is our terminology. A "Defensive Bonus" specifically means dice, so you are correct that "+1d6 Defensive Bonus" means adding 1 die. However, the shorthand of that when we on the development team speak - and what you point out, alas - is "+1 Defensive Bonus." They are synonyms in practice, and both mean to add a die to the number rolled. Sorry for the confusion!