Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FUP In-Situ

papymaj5

Hello Everyone,

It would be nice to be able to have an option for the FUP to be in-situ of the current formation of the troops instead of having them move somewhere then form up. Even if you place the FUP in the same area, they will still move around to different positions. Depending on the size of the force, you could be 30 mins to an hour moving around in the same position.

The current behavior is great but it would be nice to have a checkbox option to not have your troops moving around prior to an attack and instead reorganizing in-situ prior to attack.

Thanks, Jon

papymaj5

Hi,
You mean something like a "hasty" attack right off the march etc.??

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Something more like you are in a defensive position and you then want to conduct an attack without the movement to FUP. Reorg in place then attack. I have had situations where my current position is not in LOS of the enemy and my movement to FUP (selected on top of current position) causes my units to be spotted and bombarded or directly fired on and the attack is halted because my units become disorganized from retreat. In that situation, I would have rather reorg in place and then attack from cover without prior movement.

On another thought, I don't recall being able to use a smoke bombardment. However, in the Estab editor, there is a smoke section for weapons that you can select. I didn't see it as something Dave listed for CO2.

Thanks,
Jon

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Jon,

Re SMOKE. Yes it's been on our wish list forever and alas it will remain their for a little time to come as there are bigger priorities at the moment.

Re IN-Situ FUP. The reason they move around is to shake out into the assault formation they will occupy. If they don't do this beforehand then it would be a shemozzle at the start of the assault with units crossing over the axis of advance of other units making for a nice arty target. What of course would happen in reality is that either:
  1. The force would assign the sub forces to the various assault subGroups based solely on their current disposition so no movement in the FUP was required.
  2. The force could take advantage of trench systems to mask any such movement.
Alas for most of the battles we cover well established trench systems suitable for masking movement were not present. SO that really leaves us with option 1. This could be doable but it would probably result in some less than optimum allocations to the subGroups. But we could provide this as an option to the user.