Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Future NaW products thread

Matt Lohse

And taking advantage of the new forum I figured I would start a thread for the inevitable "What sort of topics should the NaW series cover in the future" discussion.

For no particular reason, allow me to suggest the Canadians in NW Europe in 1944-45.

On an unrelated note to the preceding sentence, if anyone is interested in playtesting something on the Canadians in NW Europe in 1944-45 they should let me know.

But looking beyond NaW projects I have been working on to ones I might only have a crude outline for, how about the invasion of Southern France in 1944.

MadSeason

I put in my votes for:
Blitzkrieg 1940
Poland 1939 as a Cobra-sized expansion?
Crete as a Cobra-sized expansion?

Matt Lohse

Blitzkrieg 1940
Poland 1939 as a Cobra-sized expansion?
Early war Blitzkrieg
Could be very interesting and with a Blitzkrieg 1940 core game [say UK/France/German] you are right it would be easy to do Cobra sized expansion on the Polish campaign and Low Countries. If you could add in a map [maybe a LOF expansion format] it could also be a base for a Norway/Denmark expansion. Also maybe pull Italian units from Desert Heat and you could do the invasion of Southern France in June 1940. I'd buy it.

MadSeason

Oh, yes, Sicily would be good but the Italian peninsula campaign would be great, too.

I was thinking the 1940 Blitzkrieg would include the Low Countries but it would probably make more sense to do an expansion for that. Maybe even for the Brits???

Poland would be interesting, IMO. Cavalry, anyone?

Robert Ellis

TLLF;)

Operation Dragoon is quite interesting, but there again, so is Sicily and Italy. Maybe a chance to get some troops from Brazil, French Colonials and how about 10th Mountain Division?

Jay Townsend

As I stated on another thread, a Pacific/Asia WWII game in this series would be cool!

Matt Lohse

I have far too many items on my to develop list, but I would be happy to playtest anything that someone else might design. Especially someone else who might have already designed what I understand is a rather good game on that subject.

A standard NaW format game [220 or maybe 330 large counters, 4 or 5 maps] would be able to cover a lot of topics in the Pacific and could be followed by a cobra sized expansion or two to add some even more [say the CW forces in the area]. Once the physical components of a game [and maybe an expansion] are in place, there could be almost endless scenario packs as well.

Matt Lohse

Operation Dragoon is quite interesting, but there again, so is Sicily and Italy. Maybe a chance to get some troops from Brazil, French Colonials and how about 10th Mountain Division?

Yup. Given that it probably would be on my to do list for say 2017 at my current rate, hopefully someone else starts working on the topic.

Matt Lohse

I was thinking the 1940 Blitzkrieg would include the Low Countries but it would probably make more sense to do an expansion for that. Maybe even for the Brits???

It might be possible to get it all in one box, the big question is what can be fit in 220 [or maybe 330] counter limit. It could be done, I just am not sure what the tradeoffs would be. I am of the view it is better to have 2 or 3 more fully developed OOBs rather than cramming another in... and just design with a specific follow-on expansion in mind. I could be wrong on that though...

Robert Ellis

I like the idea of having a 'main' game, then following on with Crobra type expansions, although it would be nice to have at least one new map with the expansion to help flesh it out and add some more variety. The extra map could include scenario objectives, such as an airfield for example.

Although I no longer play ASL, one of the aspects of that system I always liked was the sheer number and variety of maps.

Jeff Lewis

Western Blitzkrieg 1940, as an expansion to WSR, could probably work in an issue of Line of Fire. Formations of early-war German and British armor would be needed, and French, Belgians and Dutch could be done all on one sheet of counters. Figuring out how to do the 5/8" counters too would be a minor challenge but it could be done like it was in Op Cobra, I'm sure. A new map could be done as well.

Jeff