Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Game Crashes During Play. Help Please.

Richard.W.

Hi, all...
I'm really hoping someone can help.. I don't know what to try next.
My machine is a custom built, gaming laptop (Windows 10) with enough graphics and cpu power to run the latest fps type games maxed out, so I know it's easily capable of running CO2... Here's the issue:

I recently downloaded the core game through Steam and bought one of the dlc along with it.
Downloading, installation and running all seem to work perfectly, however after about 20 minutes of real time play it crashes to desktop without warning. This happens on every scenario in both the core game and dlc.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the anti-virus disabled but it makes no difference at all.
With the clock stopped, I can take as long as I like planning and issuing orders but as soon as I un-pause the game clock, I get around 15 to 20 minutes of real time play, during which everything happens as it should (movement, bombardments, etc) without any glitches at all, until I'm suddenly dumped straight back to desktop.

What really annoys me is that CO2 is one of those games I really want to play. No turns or hexes. Orders delay and the uncertainty of how they'll be followed. I like everything about it and would gladly buy all the dlc available for it but unless I can get it to run for longer than 20 minutes, there's no point.

I'm told that the only place I can get help is on this forum, so here's hoping somebody is willing to come to the rescue and knows what's going on.

Richard.

john connor

I had a regular crash in the past that was - it turned out - caused by the timed operations of some back-up software - so it's not always the anti-virus stuff. Not very helpful, perhaps, but have you tried disabling literally every single thing that would be running in the background? You could boot in safe mode and see what happens. Do you know how to do this? I guess so, since you built your PC. Just in case it's something that does something in the background. That's all I can think of.

Richard.W.

Bless you, John, you flatter me but I must clear up a misunderstanding.
My laptop was custom built FOR me by someone with far more knowledge than I. All I did was commission them to shoehorn the most powerful parts they could into a laptop case. I work away from home a lot so I can take it with me and it helps to pass the time. I've learned that a website isn't that dark corner of the shed where the spiders live but beyond that, I soon run into problems. My granddaughter knows more than me and she's 9, lol.

Seriously though, thank you so much for your reply and your suggestion about something running or starting up in the background to cause the crash makes sense. If that was the issue though, should the game not still crash after the 15 to 20 minute period regardless of whether it was paused or not?. I could spend as long as I like looking around the map and issuing orders to my units but as soon as I un-pause it and let it start moving things around, it will work flawlessly for that short period, then just crash.

It's more frustrating than annoying, since I'm inclined to think whatever "it" is will be simple to fix but I need to find the "it"... Two or three other games I have are upgraded with some large and fairly unstable mods, yet they run without a hitch, this is the only one with a problem and it's 100% stock.

Richard.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
Hi Richard,
Please do the following:
- go to the Steam installation folder (right click on the game name in Steam client, press Properties, then go to Local Files tab, then press Browse... button) and check that Recordings folder is there;
- use the tutorial scenario (Return to St Vith)
- start the game and play it until it crashes again;
- without restarting the game, go to the Recordings folder (see again the instructions above) and zip game-recording.cor file
- post it here on forum as an attachment.

Hi, all...
I'm really hoping someone can help.. I don't know what to try next.
My machine is a custom built, gaming laptop (Windows 10) with enough graphics and cpu power to run the latest fps type games maxed out, so I know it's easily capable of running CO2... Here's the issue:

I recently downloaded the core game through Steam and bought one of the dlc along with it.
Downloading, installation and running all seem to work perfectly, however after about 20 minutes of real time play it crashes to desktop without warning. This happens on every scenario in both the core game and dlc.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the anti-virus disabled but it makes no difference at all.
With the clock stopped, I can take as long as I like planning and issuing orders but as soon as I un-pause the game clock, I get around 15 to 20 minutes of real time play, during which everything happens as it should (movement, bombardments, etc) without any glitches at all, until I'm suddenly dumped straight back to desktop.

What really annoys me is that CO2 is one of those games I really want to play. No turns or hexes. Orders delay and the uncertainty of how they'll be followed. I like everything about it and would gladly buy all the dlc available for it but unless I can get it to run for longer than 20 minutes, there's no point.

I'm told that the only place I can get help is on this forum, so here's hoping somebody is willing to come to the rescue and knows what's going on.

Richard,
I've read this and the remaining posts on the thread -- all offering good advice. John's right about background processes overloading a processor and causing a game crash.

You didn't indicate you ran the game with the anti-virus disabled after reinstalling. It could still be the offender if it runs a scan in the background and discovers a "new" unknown executable file between the last time it scanned and the subsequent scan. If it quarantines the game engine file the game will crash.

The reason background processes may crash the game is because they may have grabbed processor time the game needs to calculate movement, change in formation, visibility and the like that only runs when the game is unpaused.

Richard.W.

Hi Richard,
Please do the following:
- go to the Steam installation folder (right click on the game name in Steam client, press Properties, then go to Local Files tab, then press Browse... button) and check that Recordings folder is there;
- use the tutorial scenario (Return to St Vith)
- start the game and play it until it crashes again;
- without restarting the game, go to the Recordings folder (see again the instructions above) and zip game-recording.cor file
- post it here on forum as an attachment.
Many thanks for your help, I shall do as you ask. I've just checked the file and the recordings folder is definitely there so that's a start.:)....... Back shortly with the attachment I expect.

Richard.W.

Hi, ioncore.
Hopefully, if I haven't made a mess of it, the attachment zip should contain the recordings file you requested at the point of crash.
To me, it was exactly the same as usual. All going well until I just got dumped back to "My Steam" library page.
I hope it tells you something, even if it's only what an idiot I've been, lol.

Richard.

Attachments

• game-recording.zip
    84.2 KB · Views: 2

Richard.W.

Thanks, Jim.
Your ideas sound logical enough to me, sir... I get the feeling there's something working in the background that's at fault. The way the crash isn't random. I haven't put a stopwatch on it but it's after roughly the same period of play every time.
I looked into starting the game in safe mode but Steam doesn't give me the option.... Properties, General, shows an empty 'Launch Options' box. I can type in -safe but then I just get an error message.

Richard.
P.S. I've tried all ways of uninstall/reinstall/play with the anti-virus on and off. Nothing seems to make a difference.... When I check Windows Defender, it says it can see Command Ops 2 but gives it a clean bill of health.

Thanks, Jim.
Your ideas sound logical enough to me, sir... I get the feeling there's something working in the background that's at fault. The way the crash isn't random. I haven't put a stopwatch on it but it's after roughly the same period of play every time.
I looked into starting the game in safe mode but Steam doesn't give me the option.... Properties, General, shows an empty 'Launch Options' box. I can type in -safe but then I just get an error message.

Richard.
P.S. I've tried all ways of uninstall/reinstall/play with the anti-virus on and off. Nothing seems to make a difference.... When I check Windows Defender, it says it can see Command Ops 2 but gives it a clean bill of health.
OK

I've noted the problem with a commercial anti-virus program, in my system's case, Norton Security which screens at install and runs periodic scans for malware at relatively the same interval you indicate. I had the same issue as you and had to go through the two step process to first get the program installed, and then to certify it as "safe" for the anti-virus during the time the program was running. I have to go through the same routine each time Norton updates its software, indicating it doesn't necessarily "learn" once and keep it in memory for subsequent updates.

Windows Defender may retain the information from the first time the executable is approved for installation.

Steam embeds some code that forces the player to use the Steam menu to validate there's a Steam-issued license to play the game. That's why you can't run it directly by running the executable.

You're in the best care you can get with Ioncore, who is one of the game programmers. If he can duplicate the problem on his system he can step through the save to determine what is causing the crash.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
Richard,
You're using the Beta build which is known to be unstable.
I'd strongly recommend you to opt from Beta programs and switch to the default build (right click -> Properties -> Betas -> Select the beta... -> None) and let us know if that helps.
I don't see any apparent problem with your recording, but I'll try to check it in more details later.
Best regards

Richard.W.

Richard,
You're using the Beta build which is known to be unstable.
I'd strongly recommend you to opt from Beta programs and switch to the default build (right click -> Properties -> Betas -> Select the beta... -> None) and let us know if that helps.
I don't see any apparent problem with your recording, but I'll try to check it in more details later.
Best regards
Many thanks once again, ioncore.
I had switched to the Beta after the default game crashed at the 15 minute mark on the first few attempts to play it. I thought it might help but it made no difference, the game still crashed to desktop after the 15 to 20 minute period of real time play.
Following your suggestion, I have done as advised and switched back to default (following the steps you set out) and tried another play through of the St. Vith scenario.
Exactly the same results as every other attempt, I'm afraid but anticipating it may help, I followed the instructions from your previous message and have attached the recordings file zip.
I know you must be busy and I apologise for being a pain in the rear with this.

Kind regards.
Richard.

Attachments

• game-recording (2).zip
    60.7 KB · Views: 0

Richard.W.

Bumping this back up.
Still unable to play this game in either default or Beta. Problem is exactly the same in either mode.
See attachment in the above post which was in default as suggested.