Game Update Process?

Discussion in 'Command Ops Series' started by Grim.Reaper, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper Member

I know there will be the ability to perform an auto update of the game when patches come up through the desktop icon, but wondering if there would be a separate downloadable patch file as well like they have been in the past? That way a little more control over the patch process and the ability to revert back to past versions if needed.

Or will the only option be auto update?

Thanks.

2. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor Panther Games Designer

Good question. I will pass that onto LNL.

3. Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper Member

Thanks for looking into it...personally would love an option for offline patches, also would help for longevity in case for whatever reason the update servers are no longer available.

4. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor Panther Games Designer

Had a conversation with David Heath today and he says that there will be only the automatic update. He does add though that it will always be possible to access previous versions and reinstall from LNL and that if you have a particular issue recovering your install that you just need to raise a support ticket and his staff will help you.

5. Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper Member

Ok thanks, not what I was hoping, but not a deal breaker. Just makes me nervous if anything ever happens unexpectantly to the game or company, wouldn't be able to get latest update if I had uninstalled and then reinstalled the game since support and server would likely be gone.

Same issue with other game services like steam so I understand.

6. blond_knight

blond_knight Member

Im not really happy about the auto-update only. I can see where it might lower the workload on LnL using an auto system but Im smart enought to patch my own game, and I decide what gets installed and when. Plus Grim.Reaper makes a very valid point: "what happens if".

Am I correct in guessing that your using the same auto update software Matrix Games uses? So would a "patches" folder be created in the CO2 folder when something updates? And could we then copy the patch off ourselves for archiving? I think that would alleviate alot of our stress.

7. Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper Member

If it simply downloads a patch file and saves in a directory, then auto runs, then I agree that would be perfectly fine since I could archive the patches.

8. Jason Church

Jason Church Guest

That is how it works. All the patches end up in the \Patches folder.

9. Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper Member

Very good news....thank you