Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Game won't start, at times

GoodGuy

Win 7 Pro 64-Bit.

The game won't start, at times, the game window seems to come up for a millisecond (can barely see it), but closes again right away. The exe file disappears almost instantly in the task manager, too.
Rebooting seems to solve it, but then the next day it won't start again.

I had to uninstall a virus scanner (avast) as it seemed to collide with contents of MS Windows updates, in particular I suspect the Framework 4.5.2 update to cause troubles (blue screen caused by fltmgr.sys at least once a day), means that it may collide with Avast services. I just switched to a different scanner (Avira, which is less strict), no viruses detected (many ppl seem to end up with fltmgr.sys blue screens if that file is infected with a virus), but I also uninstalled Framework 4.5.2, as security measure. So I went back to plain Framework 4.0, but I'm wondering now if the whole procedure removed some dlls that are used by CO.

I do remember that certain Visual Studio dlls are used by the game.
I do have a shyteload of Visual redistributables installed: Visual C++ 2005 (x64), 2008 (x64), 2010 (x64 + x86) and 2012 (x64 + x86).

Is there anything else I need? A particular dll ? I remember some MFCMsomething.dll was needed to run the Scen or MapMaker, for instance.
I'd appreciate some help. The game works right now, but my PC will probably act up again after the next reboot.

Last edited:

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Hey GoodGuy I feel for you matey. There's nothing worse than when you machine plays up. I've not heard of anyone else with this issue in relation to CO2. So my first guess is that it's something you have done on your machine. I take it that it was working satisfactorily earlier. If this is so, then can you recall when it started playing up and what on your system changed that? You mentioned the 4.5.2 framework. The game installs 4.5.0 unless there is a later version already on your system. I would be surprised (but not shocked) if this was the cause. But you never know. You have reverted back to 4.5.0. So to test his, you should uninstall the game and reinstall it. This will run the vcredist package you need, which is the VS2010 version for x86 (32 bit). You need that one because that I what we compile the game apps with. Our installer should do that by default.

Let me know how you get on?

GoodGuy

1) So my first guess is that it's something you have done on your machine.

2) You have reverted back to 4.5.0. So to test his, you should uninstall the game and reinstall it. This will run the vcredist package you need, which is the VS2010 version for x86 (32 bit). You need that one because that I what we compile the game apps with. Our installer should do that by default.

Let me know how you get on?

Thank you for your reply.
1) Of course, your Game doesn't do stuff like that to a PC ! :happy:

2) The Problems (with blue screens) started when I installed AVAST around March, shortly before or after upgrading Framework to 4.5.2 .
I just reverted back to Framework 4.0.30319 and both VS2010's were installed x64 + x86 (both: Version 10.0.40219) on the 26th of October 2014, so the game installer must have skipped the VS package AND the Framework (since it was 4.5.2 at the time) when I installed CO in May. Does the game need a dll provided by .NET Framework 4.5.0 (and which may be missing or very outdated in 4.0) ?
Could that be a possible reason for the trouble?

Call me a :chicken:, but I really try to ship around installing Framework 4.5.x, because the blue screens are gone once and for all, and I'd like to keep it that way! :) Of course, AVAST could be the guilty party that caused the blue screens, but I really don't trust 4.5.x. anymore now, so I'd really prefer to stick with 4.0, for now.

I could reinstall the game, but then I won't be able to skip 4.5, right?

Last edited:

GoodGuy

The dlls you need are the mfc100.dll, msvcp100.dll, msvcr100.dll. But not all dlls are equal. Try running this vcredist package:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cc5x6xkqjv985kk/vcredist_x86.exe?dl=0

Thank you.
That's the same VCred. version that is already installed on my system, I remember you helped me in 2013, now, when MapMaker or ScenMaker didn't start after a system format, as one of these dlls was missing, when I got Windows 7 64-bit in 2013.
I did a checkdisk on the system drive, which corrected one or another problem. The blue screens might have messed up dir tables of the main HD or the integrity of one or another dll. Game runs fine right now. If the game doesn't start again, I'll install the VCR provided by you.

Thanks again !