Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

GPQ-Are all scenarios in the Commander Pack playable with a minimum spec'd computer?

rjantzi

I've downloaded the core engine and the included 3 scenarios and I'm playing these on a laptop that just meets the minimum requirements. (AMD Athlon II Dual Core 2.1 GHz, 3.00 GB RAM (2.75 GB usable), Win 7 (64 bit) OS, integrated video chip (256 MB dedicated), DirectX ver. 10.
I've already noticed some lag when issuing orders and assigning way points if the game is running and more than 1 battle is ongoing. It may take a few seconds for a waypoint to show on the screen after I've clicked on the location. If I pause the game then there's no lag at all.
I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the Commander Pack. I'm assuming that a lot of these scenarios would be larger then the 3 that came with the core engine and I'm concerned that I may find them unplayable on my system.

My question is, has anyone else (who has a computer with similar spec's to mine) already downloaded the Commanders Pack and how are you finding the performance on the larger scenarios? If it's simply a matter of having to pause the game when issuing orders I could live with that but I'm wondering if there are any other game-stopping issues with using an older computer.

Any feedback would be appreciated and it would certainly help me make my decision in regards to moving forward with purchasing the Commanders Pack.

Rob

altipueri

My laptop is not disimilar, and it plays OK after the update, it was terrible before. Not as fast as on another PC. Needless to say I haven't played all the scenarios.

But, think of the future - buy the pack now and it will work on your new computer when you get it.

You realise, you do need a new computer.

john connor

Even in old CO1 huge scenarios like From the Meuse to the Rhine ran relatively slow on quite fast machines. Mine are an i5 and i7 and the big scenarios would chug along at roughly the same pace whether on fastest or slowest speed. A lot of pieces for the engine to track, a lot of calculations, I guess. The bottleneck isn't usually the graphics card or RAM but the processor speed (or so we've been told). I found a significant improvement, for example, between i7 and i5 processors. So that CO1 ran much better (and faster) on my i7 laptop (win 8.1) than on my i5 desktop (win 7).

rjantzi

Thanks for the info. Could you give me a rough idea how many of the 70+ scenarios in the Commander's Pack are of the "huge" variety? I'm thinking that these really large ones may not be playable on my computer and am just wondering how many that would be.

Rob

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Thanks for the info. Could you give me a rough idea how many of the 70+ scenarios in the Commander's Pack are of the "huge" variety? I'm thinking that these really large ones may not be playable on my computer and am just wondering how many that would be.

Rob
Just launch the game and go to the Scenario Selection screen. Sort by units and this ill sort all the scenarios in each module by the number of active units in the scenario. That is you best guide to the size.

rjantzi

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response but I don't yet have the Commander's Pack. I'm trying to get an idea if my older computer will be able to run them or not before I purchase.

Rob

rjantzi

Looking at the list of scenario's, that Dave posted in a separate thread, it looks like around 80% have the same number of units or less than Greyhound Dash. Since Greyhound seems to perform adequately on my laptop I plan on moving ahead with buying the Commanders Pack. Based upon the 3 scenario's that came with the core engine this is a marvellous game. I'm looking forward to the finalized version (i.e non-beta) to see the full potential. Many thanks to Dave and all others that have been involved with the development process.

*budd*

I play on a core I3 sec gen with integrated graphics and 8 gigs of ram. The integrated card only has 64 dedicated but can use up to 1.8 gigs of shared and the game plays just fine on the medium to small scenarios, i haven't played the larger ones yet in CO2.

rjantzi

Thanks Budd. I figure I'll be OK with most of the scenarios. Let me know what you find when you try a large one.

rjantzi

Just took the plunge and bought the Commanders Pack. Downloaded and installed with no problems. So excited..... :happy:

rjantzi

So, finally getting close to getting a new computer. I'm considering one with the following spec's.

AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-6700, 3.7 GHz

4 MB cache

10 GB DDR3 SDRAM

2GB AMD Radeon™ R7 240 graphics

2 TB, 7200 rpm

Does anyone have a similar machine and, if so, how does it work on the larger scenarios?

Thanks