Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

GPQ Est start time counting up?

Fegrus

Hi, I'm fairly new to the game and I'm having a problem and I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature I don't know about. After I issue orders, the est start time appears, and then seams to keep counting up. The units often sit there for a long time, like 3 or 4 times the length of the original order delay. This is really making control quite difficult, I can't predict when anything will happen, even simple move orders with no contact. Is this a feature I'm unaware of, or is something weird going on?

Hi, I'm fairly new to the game and I'm having a problem and I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature I don't know about. After I issue orders, the est start time appears, and then seams to keep counting up. The units often sit there for a long time, like 3 or 4 times the length of the original order delay. This is really making control quite difficult, I can't predict when anything will happen, even simple move orders with no contact. Is this a feature I'm unaware of, or is something weird going on?
There has a been a significant amount of discussion, rework and testing on this issue in the development forum for the upcoming patch (planned for February).

The excessive delay largely revolved around the artificial intelligence "staff" planning the placement in formation and marching orders for the units in the force receiving orders from the human player.

A significant amount of the improvements that emerged from this effort have been posted in Steam as the CO2 Public Beta to prep for the full update release. Unfortunately, the appropriate Steam patch won't work with the current LnL release.

The current plan for the development team and LnL is to release all new content via Steam. While this requires using the Steam shell to play the game, it allows for more consistent and effective release of updates and patches to the game and allows the development team to focus on one version of the game as it works out issues like those you report.

Those people who bought directly from LnL, can obtain a Steam key for their game by providing the LnL purchase information as discussed here:

https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/p/19853

Fegrus

Would you mind pointing me to this discussion, I have not been able to find it? So if I'm understanding correctly, this is a feature that's not working correctly? I thought that kind of planning was supposed to happen during the order delay? I issued a move order to a large group earlier with an 1:20 order delay, that ended up taking 5+ hours to even start.

I've not been playing for long, I brought the game straight through steam. I will happily move to the beta branch if it solves this, though as a new player I'm not sure how much use I'll be as a beta tester. There's a lot going on with the game, so it can be a little hard working out what's going on, taking this situation as a good example.

Would you mind pointing me to this discussion, I have not been able to find it? So if I'm understanding correctly, this is a feature that's not working correctly? I thought that kind of planning was supposed to happen during the order delay? I issued a move order to a large group earlier with an 1:20 order delay, that ended up taking 5+ hours to even start.

I've not been playing for long, I brought the game straight through steam. I will happily move to the beta branch if it solves this, though as a new player I'm not sure how much use I'll be as a beta tester. There's a lot going on with the game, so it can be a little hard working out what's going on, taking this situation as a good example.
The discussion is in a group that's set to private (I'm a member).

I'd suggest moving to the Beta Branch for more consistent performance. Even new players have the potential to offer valuable feedback -- if nothing else veteran players may sometimes craft workarounds to avoid some of the pitfalls in the code that aren't necessarily intuitive to a new player and should be included to make the game more welcoming to the new person.

My only suggestion before offering a comment on the Beta is if something isn't working as you anticipated, review the documentation available on how to perform the task you intended to make sure it isn't "operator error" that caused the problem.

The Steam beta branch discussion offers some insight into what is expected to be evaluated in the Public Beta test. If by chance you find something that you would like added to make the game easier or more understandable, make sure you include it in the "feature requests" section rather than posting it as a failure of the patch.

As a final note, the developers ask for as a minimum a game save from before you note a problem, and ideally, a recording of the action until the problem occurs. It's best in noting any problems is to return to the last save (they're listed as autosave# in the "Saved Games" directory) and see if the problem repeats itself from the last save. There are four autosaves that repeat during gameplay, so the most pertinent save would be the latest one before the fault occurs.

If a problem can't be duplicated from a game save, then it can't be fixed -- which is why it's very useful to include a recording of the action because the developers can step through the recording and see what lead to the problem -- including operator tasks which may have caused it..

The recording is saved in the Recordings directory as a .cor file. The default ."game.recording.cor" file is overwritten each time the game is started, so the last recording should be renamed and saved before trying the game again.

Hope this helps.