Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

GPQ-Formation Movement for Mot & Mech

Daz

When issuing an attack order I know that the game is abstracted to behave as though the Motorized and Mechanized units have dismounted from their vehicles and are advancing on foot.

When issuing a move order, in a formation other than Road Column, i.e. Vee, Line, Successive Line, Arrowhead, are the moving units abstracted as moving mounted, or on foot, or a combination of the two depending on terrain and proximity to enemy forces?

Last edited:

GoodGuy

When issuing an attack order I know that the game is abstracted to behave as though the Motorized and Mechanized units have dismounted from their vehicles and are advancing on foot.

When issuing a move order, in a formation other than Road Column, i.e. Vee, Line, Successive Line, Arrowhead, are the moving units abstracted as moving mounted, or on foot, or a combination of the two depending on terrain and proximity to enemy forces?

If I am not mistaken, they march in road columns, but switch to the ordered formation when reaching the end point (destination), or the reorg-point (of an attack), as the formation will then be used for the final leg/approach. Motorized units always move with "wheeled" speed, foot units with ... well foot speed. In COTA, wheeled elements of a foot (simulating horse-drawn units as well) unit would do a stop-and-go loop (afaik) to adapt to the speed of the slow units, in order to stay in column formation. That's why I used to detach such elements, to maintain the speed advantage.

Not sure if CO2 features 3 speeds (wheeled, foot and horse-drawn). The Wehrmacht actually used special carriages so that they couldn't just tow guns or transport ammo, food and fuel, but also transport troops with these horse-drawn carriages, on the retreat, or as pick-up at railway stations, for example.
Usually, all troops were re-deployed by railway (medium and long distances), and - when time was essential - non-motorized units picked up by the supply columns (trucks) that were present at the destination (eg. the trucks of a superior or neighbouring unit, or the Army base in that sector), to get them to FUPs, rest areas or devensive positions.

Last edited: