Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

GPQ - Stragglers

Daz

This is what the game manual has to say about it:

Stragglers = when checked, the force will not stop and rest with any subordinates that are too exhausted to continue. Instead it will press on leaving the exhausted "straggler" behind. Otherwise the whole force may stop and rest with the exhausted unit. The default is on.

Does this also apply to units that have stopped to refuel?
From my observations I would say is does not.
Would there be much work involved to change it so that the force will continue with their move order when one of the subordinates stops to refuel, instead of the whole formation locking up for hours until it does, only then to have to wait yet again when the next unit has a refuelling event?

Edit: Just to confirm.
When the Stragglers check box is checked, which it is by default, this will allow stragglers, meaning the rest of the formation will continue onto its set order location. Then when the resting unit recovers sufficiently it will re-join the rest of its formation at their new location?
Does this also apply if the HQ itself is fatigued, or only its subordinates?
For Example: The HQ of a formation becomes fatigued but its subordinates are not. Does the whole formation wait for the HQ to recover, or can they continue on without it?

When you manually uncheck the Stragglers box, this means that the formation will wait for sopped units to recover fatigue, and rest with them, until the whole formation is sufficiently rested to complete its order?

At what point is the formation considered fit enough to continue with its order?
Is it done on a percentage of overall fatigue, or do they just rest for a set period of time?

I have been doing some more testing and I need to know how it is supposed to work, before I can determine if its working correctly or not.

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Daz, your tireless help in quenching bugs and alike is very much appreciated.

Maybe it would be smart in the future to replace the checkboxes with the (x) with a small yes and no, so it is easier to see what is currently going on.

Cheers

Daz

Thanks Guys.
The Beda Fomm scenario, at present, is a lesson in frustration and I'm just trying to help get it into a playable more enjoyable state.
It pushes the games supply mechanics to the limits, due to the distances, the lack of supplies and the lack of vehicles in which to transport those supplies.
The shorter distances in most other scenarios don't put anywhere near as much strain on the supply chain.
When you look at it in depth its incredibly well made and cleverly designed.

The lack of fuel should indeed be a big problem for the Axis, but for the player its the lack of control and feedback you have over these limited supplies and the units that are struggling (freezing up) because of them, as well as a few disruptive bugs, that's causing the frustration.
Formations will stop frozen for hours because one of their units has ran out of fuel, but not continue on with the units that do have fuel, leaving you no alternative but to micro manage every move and there is a lot of units to move in this scenario!
To compound the problem the On Map Boss has a relatively low command load.

I sometimes wonder if I sound like an old nag, so its good to see you guys are supportive.
Thank you :happy:

Iconoclast

Question: How are higher echelon Depots behaving in regards to lower level depots? Are they just pushing down supplies to the next depot, or do they also deliver to frontline units?

I was tinkering a bit with the appearence of the 10th Army Depot. I was rying to use it as a bridge, but that didn't seemed to help much. then again, I think the supplies that move from off-map onto the AO do not need to be picked up, anyway, since they come with their own trucks, right? mh....i think I am missing something about the 10th Army depot.

Cheers

Daz

Its all a bit of a mishmash in this scenario, because the Bases are not on the map to start with but filter onto the map in their historic order of arrival at that location.
Their organic units and sub bases will not get assigned to them until the next routine supply event at 06:00 and 18:00 but any units that are on the map and who's organic base has not yet arrived on map will get assigned the base the next level up the chain from their missing one.

The supplies from the SEP do indeed come on their own transport. When everything is in place they will deliver to the XX Corps Base, which is the senior base in this scenario and that in turn will deliver to the Division Sub Bases etc.

Last edited: