Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Help with artillery attachment

Dijon

I was hoping that someone could give me a little help/advice on how to properly attach artillery to (i.e. be on call for) a subordinate unit. I am working my through the Return to St. Vith tutorial, after having gone through the BFTB YouTube tutorials. In this scenario, the 22nd and 66th Field Artillery Bn (105mm) are attached to CCA HQ at game start, even though they would normally be division assets (i.e. these two units start the game already attached to a subordinate unit). In the tutorial, we take direct command of the 22nd, and leave the 66th with CCA. When 4 AD HQ arrives, it brings with it the 177th FA Bn (155mm). I would like to leave the 177th with division HQ, but reassign the 22nd to CCB and the 66th to CCR for their assault on St. Vith. The problem that I'm having is that when I use the normal (only?) approach to seconding a unit, which is to select it along with the HQ in question and issue them an order, the artillery unit wants to move to their location. Even worse, the 22nd seems to think that the best route to Neundorf is through St. Vith, even though I don't control the objective.

Is there a way to tell an artillery bn to fire in direct support of another unit? I can't find anything in the current (v 0.04) version of the CO2 manual, nor in the BFTB manual. My current workaround is to reattach the unit back to 4 AD HQ for opportunity fire and, when I get close enough to launch an attach on St. Vith, I'll assign the Arty bns to the appropriate HQ under an attach order. That said, I'm not sure that the Arty unit won't want to move to the FUP. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Daz

Yeah it is a bit of a problem at the moment.
If you don't won't the AI to move the artillery at all, then its best to assign it to another HQ that has a defend in Situ order.
I usually take control of the larger arty units myself in my games with individual orders.
There not just good for bombarding, but make excellent units to hold objectives behind the front lines and I don't want the AI to move them when I use them for this purpose.

Take a look here for a feature that has been requested and at Dave's reply on the subject.

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/thr...forward-relative-to-their-maximum-range.1474/

Take a look here, for more info on how I use the larger artillery units in game.

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/thr...spoiler-alert-for-those-playing-as-axis.1196/

Last edited:

Dijon

Thanks, Daz, glad to hear it's not just me. I'm new to this, and there's a LOT to take in. Lovin' every minute of it, however.

Edit: Really like the "Playing Aid" link. Thanks!
Edit 2: That is, hands down, the most amazing AAR that I have ever read! I thought that the YouTube tutorials were good, because the narrator discusses overall tactics in addition to the game mechanics. Your AAR builds beautifully on that base and is a must-read for anyone, like me, who is new to this game. Wow, and thanks for taking so much time to craft such a brilliant piece of work!

Last edited: