Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Heroes of North Africa Initial Thoughts...

Hi All!

Okay I've now had a really good look over HoNA and played a FtF game (On the Run)! Here's my initial thoughts on the product itself...I stress this is my opinions only.

Overall HoNA is definitely the best produced LnLT boxed game l have received so far. I am very happy I registered with the P500 list all those years ago!

The box looks suitably impressive and is sturdy and spacious (I could do with a second one for my other LnL stuff).

The new Core Rules book is a really slick item. The printing is great and it reads better than the earlier versions. The illustrations used throughout are good. Just two things about the rules; I don't see why some of the rules included in the Module Rules book aren't in it as they are more suited to be there, i.e. 1.6.4 could be Light Mortars, 6.6 HRM, 6.7 OM & 1.6.5 Molotov Cocktales are examples of this. Also I do wonder how the spine will survive in the long term with lots of use?

The Module Rule book is up to the same production standard as the Core Rules and nicely themed to North Africa in colours and artwork. The special rules are set out clearly and each of the scenarios look great and are varied. it would have been nice to have seen a Commonwealth vs Vichy French one but that's pure nitpicking! The hints on playing order of the scenarios for gamers with less experience in the system is a nice touch. One niggle I'm not a fan for advertising inside the book (back cover is cool), I work in media and advertising and recognise this is a useful advertising tactic but for me it's like Pay TV putting ads in shows when your paying up front for the privilege of watching.

The maps represent the terrain required wonderfully, the colours used evoke North Africa straight away in my mind. The lack of overlays is fantastic (I note there is still the occasional terrain counter still required, the buildings are dodgy as the where in the hex is that damn counter when determining LOS?
cid:image001.png@01D34282.2AB086F0
). As some of these maps are back printed it rules out mounting the boards unless you spend a bit more to make up copies that match 100% (yeah yeah I'm an old fashion lover of mounted maps). All in all they're good I may go for a clear bit of 'perplex' to lay over them to keep them flat and in place or something like that.

The Player Aid Chart, well not much to say here it has everything you need and is well laid out and again printed in the game theme on study card.

The Turn Track Card, again some good printing in the game theme but I'd prefer to have it include the Turn Sequence and other helpful turn related information instead of the casualty boxes and blank space.

Sequence of Play/Combat Resolution Card, again top notch production and chock a block with useful notes/processes for players, very useful.

The Skill Reference Card, a well illustrated piece of kit but I'd prefer the cards as takes up a lot of table space especially when sometimes you are just refunding one or two Skills. Sorry, bring back the cards.

Lastly the Rules Reference Card, again a great bit of printing but can't see a lot of use for it and it's really odd that on both sides a column is cut in half by the fold so you'll need to keep it open to read the information, a strange layout idea.

Plus two very square looking dice ,

Oh and I'm not going to comment on Rule 13.1.1 made my thoughts clear on that quite a while ago hahaha!

I also got in this order the Solo Rules set and the two WW 2 Compendiums but they're still sealed at the moment!

I'll write up a separate AAR post for 'On the Run' as soon as I can.

Cheers!

Rydo

All u've said.

I don't have it but i agree with you that by looking at the immages that this is for now the best product that Ln'l produced.

But we have also to agree that this is the first "new" ( quot. marks on because it was already in the works as Mare Nostrum ) module made by the new Ln'l direction.

If this is the quality of their games from now on then Heroes of Grenada should be wonderful.

I agree with you about cards, they were much more useful because of the little space they occupied on the table.

I don't like all the charts they introduced but for new players may be serviceable.

The last thing that i miss are scenario cards with turns printed on them. I miss getting a scenario out, a map and counters and nothing else. The gaming table was much more clear and scenario VP's and SSR's were much more easier to track.

To me the perfect scenario cards were from Heroes of the Gap, they lacked the turn track but only one page very easy to check at all times.

By the way good job Ln'l you are reviving this game but we still need something to organize to create a strong and lasting community.

Like the ASL one. I hope we will make it someday.

PS: it is ok to consider ourself as a part of Ln'L or it is viewed as unrespectful?

Ty Snouffer

"Also I do wonder how the spine will survive in the long term with lots of use?"

I wonder this too. Much of the perfect binding (i think it is called) rather than saddle stitching concerns me. WIth an effort to get my Red Star book to lay somewhat flat part of the spine separated. I don't want to have to treat my games with kid gloves.

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi Guys,

The Scenario cards were stopped because a lot of the scenarios were larger than a front and back. I will take a look on a way we can make the "Perfect Binding" better. As for the playing aid cards, we made them bigger so they are easier to read. This has been one of the biggest concerns from gamers I been told. Not all the cards are needed all the time so the footprint is not that much larger.

David

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
Nice review, thanks.

In regards to the terrain counters, as per Section 10.5, the marker is considered to fill the entire hex, so no need to keep track of where it is at within the hex.

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
Heroes of Grenada? LOL.

Does this mean you won’t help playtest? LOL

Seriously. There are some really good actions/situations in Grenada. Some cool toys in it too. AC-130, Dozer, Marines, Rangers, AB units, SeaLs, etc.

Rydo

Does this mean you won’t help playtest? LOL

Seriously. There are some really good actions/situations in Grenada. Some cool toys in it too. AC-130, Dozer, Marines, Rangers, AB units, SeaLs, etc.
How one can help playtest? Or one must be in the Ln'L team?

I mean, i'm pretty much active here :(

Nick DelCorpo

Hi Ralph, I bet there are some really cool little things, i was of the mind that there are a lot of other (IMHO)conflicts I think would be better, more fun, perhaps more well known, but I'll buy the game irregardless :) Don't get me wrong, I love esoteric topics, I have a game collection full of wars no one has ever heard of. I could see it as a print-to-play game. When i was in the ARMY I served with a guy who was a part of the invasion force. He said it was a cake walk, just a show of force to keep oil prices low, (sounds like the war I fought in ;), maybe minus the cake walk. And I am always here for Lock N Load Publishing , whatever that may entail. I also wanted to see if there were enough people near the west coast to start a LnL convention, maybe centered in Colorado or perhaps we set up a room at next years ConSimWorld?

Last edited:

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
Hi Ralph, I bet there are some really cool little things, i was of the mind that there are a lot of other (IMHO)conflicts I think would be better, more fun, perhaps more well known, but I'll buy the game irregardless :) Don't get me wrong, I love esoteric topics, I have a game collection full of wars no one has ever heard of. I could see it as a print-to-play game. When i was in the ARMY I served with a guy who was a part of the invasion force. He said it was a cake walk, just a show of force to keep oil prices low, (sounds like the war I fought in ;), maybe minus the cake walk. And I am always here for Lock N Load Publishing , whatever that may entail. I also wanted to see if there were enough people near the west coast to start a LnL convention, maybe centered in Colorado or perhaps we set up a room at next years ConSimWorld?

Thank you for your service in the Army. And for your dedication to the LnLT line of games.

Nick DelCorpo

Thank You Ralph, It was an honor to serve our great nation! And Lock N Load makes great games and has brought me and many friends tons of satisfied gaming hours. 3 other guys and myself just played a full game of War Party our first time and everyone loved it. I am sure with a few plays it gets even better. This was one of my first journeys out of the LnLT universe I am so familiar with. Anyway sorry about the knee-jerk comment brushing off Grenada. After doing some homework there were def some hairy tactical situations. Anywhere U.S. service members lose their lives serving our country is more than good enough for a board game in my book. Again, thank you for the kind words.