Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.
Heroes of the Motherland Vassal Modules

Heroes of the Motherland Vassal Modules v2.3

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
David Heath submitted a new resource:

Heroes of the Motherland Vassal Modules - Heroes of the Motherland Vassal Modules v2.2

View attachment 6388
Here is LnLP Official Heroes of the Motherland v2.2 Vassal Module. Attached are several screenshots from the Vassal module in play. These show off the new custom UI buttons on the toolbar, which use graphics directly from the LnLT games in some cases, and they are all bigger and flashier than the stock Vassal graphics.

Additional things to look for is our new counter look, now with rounded corners and light shading. The maps and counters are all larger...

Read more about this resource...

Trent Garner

Hello Juan,

Thanks for the feedback! We are currently working on v2.3 modules, I'll be sure to add this to the change list.

Trent

Jankomatic

Hello Juan,

Thanks for the feedback! We are currently working on v2.3 modules, I'll be sure to add this to the change list.

Trent
Trent any chance of what I posted about in features happening? One big VASSAL module with all WW2 stuff in it?

Trent Garner

There are no plans to make an official all-in-one Vassal module for the LnLT series. The Vassal modules are intended as 1:1 digital conversions of the physical games that are purchased in the LnLP store.

Jankomatic

There are no plans to make an official all-in-one Vassal module for the LnLT series. The Vassal modules are intended as 1:1 digital conversions of the physical games that are purchased in the LnLP store.
Well, this makes me sad, without doing so DYO scenarios are a no go online. I was going to start writing some myself, but if you can't mix boards and counters from different boxes it limits the potential of what can be done.

Paul S Young

It's also a waste of energy.

It is much easier to build a core module - for LnL Tactical, the counter prototypes, admin markers and dice - and then add the artwork from the individual games as extensions. That way, you are not building the entire module from scratch each time.

Allowing players to mix n match on Vassal promotes the game by demonstrating what is possible when the material components are put together in new and interesting ways. If there is one thing you absolutely want to promote with any game series, it is that it is highly replayable, and Vassal is very good at doing that.

As for the mistakes and omissions players have found across all versions to date, that arises from the creator losing the wood for the trees during a process that can, sometimes, be numbing. The solution is to have modules proofread, just like anything the company might publish, ideally by a pool of players who are Vassal-literate, and so capable of suggesting the fixes as well as pointing out the flaws.

Vassal is a great developmental and promotional tool, as well as an essential resource for isolated players looking for more than solo play. Given the quality of the new artwork, the company's modules could very well set the standard; unfortunately, that won't happen if players are not given the opportunity to explore the games' full potential.

Rydo

Unfortunately, that won't happen if players are not given the opportunity to explore the games' full potential.

I do not expect a move from Ln'L about this topic, it would have to be a firm move from the community.

We need someone that will be the leader and that will coordinate the works as long as some groups of dedicated players.

Problem i see is that since Ln'LT is a medium-weight game it also mean that usually who plays Ln'L also play other games and so it is not bound to it ( countrary for example to ASL where you can find more hardcore players avaible for it ).

By dedicated i mean players that ( as i do ) will take out some of their time to dedicate on Ln'L. If you really care you can find 20 minutes in your day ( or you want me to believe that you work for 18+ hours a day? I have family and work too but manage to find time every day ).

I will be avaible to be part of that "Avengers" type of thing, just find me a good leader and some other heroes and i'm in.

Paul S Young

David, other boardgame companies develop combined mods, for development, testing and online play. In fact, it is pretty much the norm to create a core module, then add expansions as they're released.

If you were to open up about why its a problem, rather than peremptorily closing the discussion, something good might come of it.

Your ball, your rules. However, if you're going to pull the thing in house, you could at least ensure the modules work. You're releasing the electronic equivalent of a boardgame with pieces missing, and when it is as consistent as it is, it's reasonable to ask whether things could be done better. It also implies its a reluctant gesture, and that we don't merit minimum publishing standards.

There was no reason for this conversation to be shut down; in fact, I suspect it was going to develop into something very positive, with fixes suggested and help offered. But, as I said, David, your ball, your rules.

Barthheart

Staff member
There is nothing stopping those that want a combined module with extensions from creating their own, for their own use, from the existing modules. David is merely stating that LnLP is not going to do this nor support it.

Paul S Young

Regarding home-made mods - If permission is given for 'personal use', it usually means it can't be shared (as that would conflict with the official releases, and the company can assert its right to control the promotion and distribution of its IP). If it can't be shared, the module can't be played on the Vassal server, and that defeats the entire object for anyone who wants to play face-to-face online.

Incidentally, I say all this having contributed to the development of one of the other games, and its test module.

Last edited:

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi Guys,

I am not trying to be short or rude and if I came across that way that was not my intent. I want to be clear here we (LnLP) do not want a combined LnLT Vassal module for public use. We had one in the past and it was incomplete had items that did not come with the games and it had a lot of errors. We also had issues with gamers not understanding what came in what games. Now that was with how the games were published in the past. I really do not want to discuss the issue again (now) since it was discussed before and thanks to Trent we have the new Vassal modules for the public. The more important fact is the current Vassal modules are fully supported and updated as needed. I do not want to go down the road of many people adding or removing different items from the Vassal modules and a whim. LnLP (Trent) has worked have hard to provide and update them the Vassal modules as needed as we will as we move forward.

I also totally disagree it is a reluctant gesture on our part, LnLP has put a lot of time and effort to provide these for our games and support for Vassal. It's a matter of giving the gamer a consistent style for them to use that TRULY matches the games.

I hope this clears this up. I am open to ideas and we always listen but in this case, I do not want to do this.

David

Trent Garner

For those who may be unaware, the current LnLP Vassal project is a labor of love by a single volunteer (me). I enjoy playing the LnLP games and wanted to have Vassal modules to play those games, for many of the same reasons everyone else does. The modules are developed in my spare time using mad Vassal skillz. :) I'm happy to support LnLP and the community at large with these modules. In return, David and LnLP fully support the project with their artwork and creative direction, for which I am quite grateful. Without that support, I couldn't do what I do.

In addition, the LnLP community at large has also been very supportive of the project in various and sundry ways. I can't begin to tell everyone how much I appreciate that, thank you one and all.

Having said that, as the developer of the current generation LnLP Vassal modules, I accept full responsibility for them. My goal is to get the modules as close to the board games they represent as possible. However, please take into consideration that this is a rather large project. A lot of time and effort goes into creating just one module, much less a dozen or more, and Vassal can be a fickle mistress at times, to put it politely.

Regardless, my apologies for any and all mistakes. With your patience and my perseverance, we will reach the goal, friends! :woot:

Barthheart

Staff member
Thank you Trent for taking over the VASSAL module creation from me. He's done a great job with making them better and more inviting than when I was doing the work.

Rydo

Regardless, my apologies for any and all mistakes. With your patience and my perseverance, we will reach the goal, friends! :woot:

It was YOUR vietnam vassal module that i've modified to make it into the CheckpointCalvi one so without your work the one i've modded wouldn't have ever existed. The TTS one that i've made used immages from your vassal modules so in a sense without them the TTS one wouldn't also be there.

Sorry for my ignorance but i was unaware that you made all the vassal ones, my mistake. I should have asked your permissions too to post them. Of that i apologyse :(

BTW THANK YOU! And Ln'L too.

Regards Trent!

Richard D

For those who may be unaware, the current LnLP Vassal project is a labor of love by a single volunteer (me). I enjoy playing the LnLP games and wanted to have Vassal modules to play those games, for many of the same reasons everyone else does. The modules are developed in my spare time using mad Vassal skillz. :) I'm happy to support LnLP and the community at large with these modules. In return, David and LnLP fully support the project with their artwork and creative direction, for which I am quite grateful. Without that support, I couldn't do what I do.

In addition, the LnLP community at large has also been very supportive of the project in various and sundry ways. I can't begin to tell everyone how much I appreciate that, thank you one and all.

Having said that, as the developer of the current generation LnLP Vassal modules, I accept full responsibility for them. My goal is to get the modules as close to the board games they represent as possible. However, please take into consideration that this is a rather large project. A lot of time and effort goes into creating just one module, much less a dozen or more, and Vassal can be a fickle mistress at times, to put it politely.

Thanks, Trent, for all your hard work and efforts. :)

Trent Garner

Thanks guys, I'm glad folks are enjoying the Vassal modules, it makes everything worthwhile. For my part, I would like to say thank you to all the people who worked on LnLT Vassal modules before me. Much of their effort laid the foundation for where the project currently is today.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Converting any russian vehicle to wreck with the right-click button menu result in the placement of a bunker marker instead. Same with the German Opel and SdKfz251