Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

HoNA AAR - "Bunker Busting"

Ryan Higgins

MOYALE, KENYA: JUNE 28th, 1940

AAR - “BUNKER BUSTING” (LnL, HoNA)

Elementi della 9 Brigata Coloniale

· Initial Set up
okjewyf.jpg

As the artillery barrage lifted, Capitano Vasta prayed the men of the King’s African Rifles had at least been shaken by the attack. The initial attack orders were given. Three squads with support weapons would set up in the tree line to lay down covering fire. The ever Heroic Caporale Spano would take a single squad to the South as a diversion. The rest of the company was ordered to follow the Capitano to the North in an attempt to outflank the shaken defenders.

Lt. Gutermuth was not pleased by the reaction of his men to the artillery barrage. Three full squads and the MG team were shaken badly and ready to route. His radio crackled with the tense voice of Sgt. Terhune, “I see movement in the trees West of our position. Steady boys, let them come to us.”

· End of Turn 1
WeDL2yJ.jpg

The KAR fire from the South was devastating. Tenente Trovato along with two squads were decimated. Cap. Vasta was beginning to doubt his battle plan.

· End of Turn 2
wlicDTT.jpg

With covering fire from the tree line, Caporale Spano made it to the far Southern edge of the KAR lines. Throwing grenades into the enemy position, Spano fell upon his enemies and wiped out the KAR defenders. The KAR defenders to the far East, still shaken by the artillery barrage, were not much help to their comrades on the front line. One squad with Cap. Vaste was pinned down and eliminated.

· End of Turn 3
a78JE54.jpg

Cap. Vasta called in an artillery strike on the NE bunker. Sergente Strega, along with two squads, moved into an empty fighting position at the North side of the KAR line. Frightened by the carnage to their South, a squad of KAR infantry were overrun and eliminated by the raging Spano. One more squad slipped deeper into the KAR rear lines by making a mad dash for the KAR bunker to the far SE.

· End of Turn 4
7NcYnlw.jpg

Murderous fire enveloped Serg. Strega’s newly gained position. Strega was wounded and one squad was rendered combat ineffective. Strega’s second squad rushed the enemy position to the North. Caporal Spano charged the KAR bunker serving as the MG strongpoint for the defenders. Sadly, he was cut down before he could attack. The Capitano called in more arty strikes on the fixed MG bunker with no effect as the courageous squad assaulting on the South side dashed to assault the SE bunker. As a shaken squad of Italians made their way back towards friendly lines, Chaplain Marino dodged enemy fire to encourage them.

· End of Turn 5
w1ZNCVq.jpg

MG and infantry fire raked Chaplain Marino’s position eliminating the shaken squad and wounding him but a new hero emerged from the carnage. The agile Soldato Bulli rushed forward and dove into cover with Serg. Strega. Based on the amount of effective fire coming from the enemy position, Strega knew his second squad’s assault had failed. Sensing the attack was stalling, Cap. Vasta called for the supporting squads in the tree line to abandoned their equipment and move forward to attack. The attacking squad on top of the SE bunker eliminated the remaining defenders inside. One bunker was now in Italian hands.

· End of Turn 6
PwTnY2B.jpg

The support squad to the South made it to cover but was shaken by enemy fire from the remaining front-line position just North of Serg. Strega. One of the support squads to the North was caught in the open by the defending MG and destroyed. Capitano was wounded by the NE bunker defenders. The second support squad made it past Vasta’s position as Serg. Strega and Soldato Bulli assaulted the enemy position to their North.

· End of Turn 7 (Final Turn)
ZC5EHx9.jpg

The defending MG bunker opened up on Strega’s position with no effect. Soldato Bulli dashed towards the enemy MG bunker. The support squad to the North successfully flanked the remaining NE bunker. SCENARIO END.

Unfortunately, time and initiative were not on Capitano Vasta’s side. While some units made it across the murderously open terrain, the KAR units still held two of the three bunkers by the scenario’s end. At this point the Italian’s would have needed a few more turns to take one more bunker. Having no real cover for 400 meters past the tree line, the Italian’s have some serious ground to cover early on.

Last edited:

Rydo

Good AAR too bad the immages are not appearing :( you need the right link. I made the same mistake too ;)

How it feels playing as the Italians? How they work? As this is their first appearance in the Ln'L world and i've not the module.

Ryan Higgins

Good AAR too bad the immages are not appearing :( you need the right link. I made the same mistake too ;)

How it feels playing as the Italians? How they work? As this is their first appearance in the Ln'L world and i've not the module.
Are the images still not showing up? I can see them on the post. So far, I have only knocked out "Bunker Busting" & "Kill Or Be Killed" from HoNA. The 2nd line (4 Morale) Royal Army units used in "Bunker Busting" are very weak. I was never able to utilize the "Unpredictable" unit capability in which case their morale would have gone up for a turn. The game components are great and the Italians have a wide variety of units: Royal Army (1st & 2nd Line), Folgore (Paratroopers), Alpini (Elite Mountain Troops) & Bersaglieri (Better than Royal Army but not as good as the others). I'm looking forward to trying some scenarios with the other units.

Rydo

Are the images still not showing up? I can see them on the post. So far, I have only knocked out "Bunker Busting" & "Kill Or Be Killed" from HoNA. The 2nd line (4 Morale) Royal Army units used in "Bunker Busting" are very weak. I was never able to utilize the "Unpredictable" unit capability in which case their morale would have gone up for a turn. The game components are great and the Italians have a wide variety of units: Royal Army (1st & 2nd Line), Folgore (Paratroopers), Alpini (Elite Mountain Troops) & Bersaglieri (Better than Royal Army but not as good as the others). I'm looking forward to trying some scenarios with the other units.
This is what i see :
qoD2Whu.png

Maybe it is a problem by my side. Other users could see them?

Ryan Higgins

Well, that just won't work. No images takes all the fun out of it. I'm not sure why they are not showing up. I can see them from this computer but not my phone.

Renzo Bulli

Great AAR, thank you very much. It makes my wait for HoNA even harder to stand! The customs authorities have got it but should release it soon.

Funny to read an AAR with a hero bearing my family name, although the "agile" skill he picked makes it harder for me to identify with him, ah ah...

I just have a comment on the photos: it might be better to place the various markers near the counters and not on top of them, making it easier to visualise the different units on the map. With such low counter density and the big hexes it should not be a problem. Another option could be to take the photo after the marker-removal phase.

Ryan Higgins

Great AAR, thank you very much. It makes my wait for HoNA even harder to stand! The customs authorities have got it but should release it soon.

Funny to read an AAR with a hero bearing my family name, although the "agile" skill he picked makes it harder for me to identify with him, ah ah...

I just have a comment on the photos: it might be better to place the various markers near the counters and not on top of them, making it easier to visualise the different units on the map. With such low counter density and the big hexes it should not be a problem. Another option could be to take the photo after the marker-removal phase.
Thanks Renzo. In retrospect, having the markers just off to the side of the counters stacks would have been better. Sadly, I did not think of that until after we had played the scenario and taken the photos. Next time, I will implement that suggestion.