Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

HotN Stay Behind AAR

Mark Drake

Posted this on BGG too:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26969295#26969295

The LRRP team has a Claymore out which is tripped by beaucoup VC (Lt.Diem and two squads) and all of them are Shaken. The LRRP's open up at point blank range and reduce both squads to Shaken 1/2 squads. Turn 2 the LRRP team decides it is time to di di as another local VC squad with a B40 moves into the area and they head for the LZ. Turn 3 sees the gunship come in and avoid a B40 round to Shake the VC reinforcing squad,but one more local VC squad with an RPD is coming in. The LRRP have made it to the LZ on the hill and await their ride,which they catch on Turn 4 after keeping Initiative again.

Since is is very quick scenario set it up and played it again,with almost same result! Only difference was Diem self-rallied but could not motivate his men to do the same;too bad as it may have saved them from being massacred by the roving gunship (Diem managed to crawl away into the bush with a Wounded counter on his back.) LRRP team gets extracted off the hill again for the win.

An excellent,fun,quick-playing tactical level Vietnam game IMHO.

Jeff Lewis

Glad you enjoyed it. I playtested this one about 30 times when I designed it, and it doesn't always go well for the LRRPs. I like these short, small OOB scenarios.

Mark Drake

I had played this in Forgotten Heroes a few times and once the LRRP team did get overrun in Melee,and another time the extraction helo took damage from RPD fire but managed to make it offboard.

Mark Drake

Question on Huey gunship: how can it attack in flying mode if it cannot spot while in flying mode? Is it firing its weapons at a HEX as opposed to UNIT(S) in a hex?