Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

HOTP - Can shaken unit taking casualties activate in same turn?

Ben2013

If a US army 1-6-4 unit that has been fired upon and is shaken as a result, is fired upon again by another enemy unit in the same turn and then takes casualties, according to its step progression it becomes a 1-5-4 unshaken half squad. If it had remained a shaken (full) squad, it would not have been able to attack in this turn, but having been further reduced to a half (now unshaken) squad, can it then attack in the turn?

TerryB

Hi Ben,

When a unit takes casualties it's shaken too. Casualties: Replace a Squad with a Shaken Half-Squad (page 32 of v5 rules).

However, shaken units that have not been activated, can activate to move away from enemy units, up to their movement factor (usually 2).

Hope that helps,
Terry

Ben2013

Thanks Terry! That makes a lot more sense! I was thrown off by the HOTP Module Rules book which shows a US army unit with both its GO front and Shaken reverse side with an arrow leading to a half squad with its GO and Shaken reverse side under the heading "American Squad Breakdown". The same progression is shown for the Japanese squads (but without Shaken sides as the do not shake). That was the cause of my confusion. I meant to say "attack" instead of "activate" in my question. You are absolutely right that a Shaken unit can still activate if it has not activated in a turn.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
And just to be completist, units that have suffer casualties can still activate if they had not in the turn