Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

How do you use the new interface?

Website
springelkamp.nl
I have been playing a bit now, but I am not yet sure how to use the new user interface optimally.

I did experiment with a second monitor, but I game from my lazy chair on a good laptop, and an extra monitor is very intrusive in that situation.

Some of the new separate windows are quite large, so I cannot keep many of them open while playing.
I also tried to put them on top of each other to simulate a tabbed interface, but I couldn't access the hidden screens. So it seems I have to close windows before opening another one, with is clumsy.

The 'window buttons' should re-activate an already open window, instead of becoming disabled.

Am I missing something? Or do I just have to wait for the new hotkeys that Dave announce for a next update?

What is your favourite layout at the moment?
(those who don't use a second screen, because with a second screen there is no problem).

EDIT: I thought I posted this in the general section, but it proved to be in the support section, so I bolded my suggestion of re-activating the buttons for open windows.

Last edited:

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Erik,

Sorry I missed that bit about using the Main Menu buttons. That really should have gone in the New Features subForum but while its here now I'll ask you for some clarification. When you say reactivate, do you mean open the window if it has been closed or do you mean bring an already opened window to the front so you can see it?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
The reason I asked is that there is a similar request to have these buttons close the dialog if it is already opened. I don't like three state buttons. I would prefer to just one functionality for the case when the dialog is already opened - either dismiss it or bring it to the front. I think the best compromise is to provide new hotkeys for open and close and use the button to bring to the front.

What do others think?

Website
springelkamp.nl
The reason I asked is that there is a similar request to have these buttons close the dialog if it is already opened. I don't like three state buttons. I would prefer to just one functionality for the case when the dialog is already opened - either dismiss it or bring it to the front. I think the best compromise is to provide new hotkeys for open and close and use the button to bring to the front.

What do others think?

Made me think again about this choice.

For orders I always use the keyboard, as one has one hand on the mouse for giving waypoints and choosing options, and a one-key hotkey is convenient with one hand.

I still have to see how convenient an Alt+hotkey will be in this situation, or that moving the mouse to the button is easier.

But because you have the Dismiss Button on the dialogue to close the window with your mouse, the logical choice would be to make the Main Menu button to bring the window to the front with the mouse.

When you still want to bring the window to the front with the keyboard, a single keypress would do that when the window is closed, and a double keypress would do that when it was covered. So it would be possible, although maybe confusing when the window was covered.

On the other hand, with the choice to make the main menu button open/close the window, two clicks would bring it to the front when it was covered, while one click would do it when it was closed. Which makes it kind of three state ;)

Falkenberg

I support the request to have the main menu button toggle the open/closed state of the window. The point is that it is extremely convenient to quickly check information: click on the button, check the info, click again. Using the "dismiss" button on the dialog requires moving the mouse, not anywhere near as nice.

And as Erik points out, two clicks on the button will have the effect of bringing an opened but hidden window to the forefront, so everybody's needs are well served, no?

Website
springelkamp.nl
Actually, maybe it would be optimal to make the button close the window when it was active, and bring it to the foreground when it was passive. But then it would be convenient if you saw which window is active, by giving the title bar a different colour. That window should also capture the mouse wheel for scrolling its content.

I guess that after playing with the new interface for a while new patterns of accessing the information will emerge.

Last edited: