Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

How to take advantage of "entrenched" units?

Noxos

A lot of the mission set ups have some units entrenched (at least for the defending side) at the beginning of a game, but often they are facing the wrong direction -- is there any way to get them change direction without redeploying? On a similar note, what formation are entrenched units in if it is not listed? Am I better off re-positioning into a formation I know is suitable, or is the bonus from the entrenched status big enough to justify leaving them "in-situ"?

john connor

If you select them, change the facing and still click 'in-situ' I believe they will change facing and remain entrenched. I would say the bonus from being entrenched would normally be more valuable then uprooting everything to set it how you want. There were queries about their starting facings in the past (including from me) and a long while ago Dave altered the code in an attempt to make it more intelligent, but - you're right - they still sometimes begin in positions that look far from ideal. The good news is - and I think this has been the upshot of all the queries about this - it doesn't much matter. They will change facing very fast of their own accord when a threat comes in and they will not usually lose their entrenched status when they do that.

Peter

Daz

As Peter said, "in situ" formation is the key to not losing your entrenchment bonus.
The facing can be changed by selecting a different facing using the direction widget in the Edit Tasks Dialogue, there is a command delay for doing this.

The actual formation of the individual Coy or platoon is irrelevant in these entrenched positions I find and if you were to change the formation for the Bn HQ it will uproot the whole Bn to place them in different positions, thus losing the entrenchment bonus.

If you need some units to face one direction, and others a different direction within close proximity, drag select all the units you want to set a facing for and give them a defend in situ formation.
The senior unit will take control of the new formation and you can change the facing for this new group, again using the widget in the Edit Tasks Dialogue.

If your not sure what direction the enemy is going to come from its best to leave the facing to auto.