Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

I'm hosting Assault on Vierville (Tuesday Nights on Vassal)

Cantatta

If there are no other takers, I will be able to play Tuesday night. We can reverse sides and play Vierville again. However, I am also happy to observe and would willingly defer, if another player wanted to participate in the game.

Barthheart

Staff member
I just recently updated the HoN module to v1.3. Is that what you are using tonight? If so I might join in if that's OK.

Cantatta

We had another great session last night. Thanks to Wes and Vance for dropping into the session as observers/kibitzers, and thank you Tony for being a great host again. Vance is the creator of the HoN VASSAL module (we used the latest v1.3) and it was a pleasure to meet him (virtually). He is a long time player of the game and was very kind in answering our questions, while also offering play tips and rules guidance as the game progressed. Tony and I are both learning to play the game better and the assistance was much appreciated. I personally learned a great deal from this last game, taking many notes along the way!

The game went rather quickly this time, we finished in just under an hour. Unfortunately for Tony, the VASSAL random die generator left a lot to be desired this game, same a the last game. He started off rolling hot, but then things went cold and never seemed to heat up for him again. I had the idea to get a web cam for Skype and point it at a dice tray or similar on each end, allowing us to roll real dice! Not sure if this is actually desirable, but it is a possible alternative. :snaphappy:

Barthheart

Staff member
Thanks for letting me sit in on your game it was fun. It's always great to see people using my modules to play this great series of games.

Lots of people complain about the dice in VASSAL... even me some times.... but I think it's more human nature than computer malice at work. The number generator is SO random as it makes us think it's on streaks of high or low rolling. I have heard of people using other web based rollers or doing exactly what you suggested and set up cameras to manually roll dice. Me I'm too lazy and just go with the VASSAL roller.

I promised to suggest another scenario for you to try next week and I'll post it here tonight. A couple come to mind but I need to re-check to make sure they aren't too hard... one of my favourites is a real bitch to play as the Americans but it's always a fun challenge.

Barthheart

Staff member
OK guys take a look at these scenarios:
"The Road to Foucarville" OR "Carentan".

Foucarville is the easier of the 2 for the Americans but can also be won by the Germans if they keep their heads down. Don't read the event paragraphs ahead of time!
Carentan is a hard mission of the Americans but is a lot of fun as it makes you really think about how to go about things and use all the abilities of your troops the best you can. The Americans need to be aggressive without being foolhardy. The Germans need to plan correctly or the Yanks will steal the win.

There are other good scenarios but they are more complicated or start to involve vehicles. There's also a couple a great British ones but I thought I'd stay with the Americans first.

Cantatta

Great scenario suggestions, thanks! I think the Battle of Carentan would be an interesting fight, as it pits the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6 vs. the 101st Airborne. Both are considered some of the toughest fighting units in all of Europe. The Germans hold their own at first, only to withdraw when ammunition runs low. Then 17 SS Division troops counter-attack the American paratroopers, but are eventually thrown back by the U.S. 2nd Armored, Combat Command A. A real see-saw battle with success of the D-Day invasion in the balance.

This battle results in the Americans consolidating the beachheads between Omaha and Utah and soon leads to cutting off the Cotentin Peninsula, along with all the German forces located there. The liberation of France continues in earnest!