Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

improvement suggestions

PantherPiet

Hello,
I've played CO and CO2 for some time now and last week a couple of my tanks were blown apart by artillery in a direct-fire mode. That pushed me to write the following suggestions:
1) A march or attack falters when you give a new order. But it should be possible to plan a new contingency or sequel by the planningstaff (at regimentlevel or higher) with the units continuing their current task or march.
2) To attack artillery (strangely often in the front somewhere...) with tanks (even konigstigers against l05mm howitsers) within 1000m is suicide. Instead of panicking and be blown up, the artillery manages to kill your tanks....
3) On a roadmove the units seem to be too close to eachother. a company should be around 20 x 50m = 1000m long on a road.
4) Motivation should drop when flanking units are retreating or destroyed.
5) Currently there seems to be no 4K screen support.
6) When you cut enemy lines of supply, they Always seem to get new ammo somehow...

These were my suggestions to improve. I hope you find some use for these.

Regards,
Pieter

Kaunitz

7) Give us a height-map overlay. The height-map can be shown in the map-editor, but not from within the game. The ingame-map usually comes with contour-lines/colours at 10m-height intervalls. This intervall is too large, as there are often smaller bumps in the ground (not captured by contour-lines) that block LOS.
8) Numerical expression of suffered casualties. For some reason, I don't like that blue bar at all. I'd much prefer a numerical expression like current strenght/initial strength.
9) Grid-overlay. Obviously, terrain is based on a 100mx100m (?) grid. I often found the grid to be inconsistent with the rounded and oddly shaped (visually pleasing) terrain features that the map shows us. This is why I always need to double check terrain (by right-clicking to show terrain info) whenever I position a unit. The map is not reliable.
10) Info on unit-formation. There is no way to tell a unit's actual formation (apart from interpreting its footprint...).
11) Checkbox "reattach after completion" for orders.

Last edited:

Kaunitz

Not a feature request, rather a request to get rid of what I consider to be a major bug or misleading information:

The effects that terrain has on protection are almost all wrong (judging from scenarios in "Highway to the Reich" and "Foothills of the Gods"). I'm refering to the values for "direct fire" and "area fire" that are shown when you right click/bring up the terrain info. A comparison between the values that are shown in game and the values that are shown in the map-maker result in very big differences. From my feeling and playing the game, I would say that the map-maker values are the correct ones.

If the values shown in the tooltip are not linked to the values that the map-designer has set and which I suspect the game engine actually uses, it would be better not to show these values at all. It would be better to write all terrain effects into the scenario-briefing then.

Just to give you an example that this is not a minor thing:
I've set up a dug-in infantry company in the woods and was confident that it would pull off a good defense, given that the game told me that the effect of direct fire would be reduced to 16% (+ hopefully some unknown value because of the entrenchment). Yet I had to discover that the unit suffered lots of casualties quickly from units of similar strength and soon started to retreat. I was wondering and looked up terrain effects in the mapmaker for this particular scenario. The mapmaker told me that the actual value for "woods" against "direct fire" was 41%, not 16%.

Kaunitz

Motorized units moving on roads/paths in terrain that is impassable for motorized units should be forced to use road-column formation.
E.g. a tank-squadron should not be allowed to move along a path through woods in line formation - or cross a bridge in line formation.
This would make these units by far more vulnerable to roadside-ambushes and bridge-bottlenecksthan they're now.

simovitch

Motorized units moving on roads/paths in terrain that is impassable for motorized units should be forced to use road-column formation.
E.g. a tank-squadron should not be allowed to move along a path through woods in line formation - or cross a bridge in line formation.
This would make these units by far more vulnerable to roadside-ambushes and bridge-bottlenecksthan they're now.
Units moving along roads will be in road column automatically. Click on a unit while it is moving and you can see the formation outline as a long rectangle; that shows it being in road column. If it runs into an enemy it will be quite vulnerable.