Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Impulse Query - HoN

tasmanuk

Hello. Currently playing the Flash Thunder scenario in HoN and I have a query around impulses. The scenario rules say that the American player must use their first impulse to use the cricket. The unit using it then gets an Ops Complete marker. After they have rolled for reinforcements, and regardless of whether those are Americans or Germans, is that the end of their impulse or are they allowed to then perform an action immediately after with another unit. My reading of the rules is that their impulse is using the cricket and then it’s the German players impulse. But thought I would check as it’s not that clear. To me anyway. Thanks.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
No, that is not the case. Depending on your version of HON booklet, the relevant SSR read as the following:

Module Rules and Scenario booklet:
The calling unit is placed under an Ops Complete marker but this doesn't count as activation. The American player is free to activate any other eligible hex on the Map.

Companion Book
The cricket calling unit is not placed under any marker and this does not constitute an impulse. The American player is also free to activate any other eligible hex on the Map.

The difference between the two versions, which has no impact on the original question, was introduced to correct a problem with the end game condition, which requires no American unit left on the Map. In the original version, the American could never end the game by leaving the map, because it would always have the calling unit marked ops complete, and thus enable to move. Thus, the German could simply go camping around that last unit, and wait until, they got an edge on Victory points by shooting American reinforcements brought forth by the calling cricket, and finally end the game to their advantage by shooting the last American unit.

tasmanuk

That makes sense but what is this Companion book you refer to? My version of HoN is the non 3” box one. How does one go about getting any new scenario books that have changed things?

Speaking of which it turns out that the TEC changed from the original version too. Where can a new TEC be found for HoN?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The Companion Books are available in the LNLP webstore. The errata they fixed will eventually be included in an updated version of the LNLT Clarifications and Corrections (C&C for short) document, which is currently available in PDF format in the Ressources section of this website.

Any corrections to the TEC would also be in the Companion Book (or the spiral-bound version of the Module Rules and Scnarios booklet, which was short-lived).

I'd be interested in knowing which changes youve noticed in the TEC from the original version (and I assume that, by original, you mean your 1" box HON version). I would also be interested in knowing what is the SSR in your version regarding the crickett-calling unit. That would help me build a more comprehensive C&C document

tasmanuk

So if I understand this correctly, I need to spend more money to get the updated TEC and module rules/scenarios. Or will all this new information be available in a PDF that I can download?

The Companion Books are available in the LNLP webstore. The errata they fixed will eventually be included in an updated version of the LNLT Clarifications and Corrections (C&C for short) document, which is currently available in PDF format in the Ressources section of this website.

Any corrections to the TEC would also be in the Companion Book (or the spiral-bound version of the Module Rules and Scnarios booklet, which was short-lived).

I'd be interested in knowing which changes youve noticed in the TEC from the original version (and I assume that, by original, you mean your 1" box HON version). I would also be interested in knowing what is the SSR in your version regarding the crickett-calling unit. That would help me build a more comprehensive C&C document

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Based on past decisions, this "new" information, mostly gathered on various forums over the years (some of those errata date back to more than 15 years), should eventually be made available in an free updated version PDF of the LNLT C&C document. I say should eventually because:

1) I'm not the owner of LNLP' nor an employee so I don't make the final call
2) This is all voluntary work on my part so it takes time and it won't happen tomorrow (I estimate there is probably anywhere between one and two weeks of full-time work to be done to gather all my notes into he previous version, double-checking everything, etc., and I cannot afford that right now)

Now, if you want the information right now, and in a shiny new booklet, yes you will have to spend more money.

And again, so that the LNLT C&C could be as comprehensive as possible for everybody, I'd be interested in knowing which changes you've noticed in the TEC from the original version (and I assume that, by original, you mean your 1" box HON version). I would also be interested in knowing what is the SSR in your version regarding the crickett-calling unit. The LNLT C&C document is, partly at least, a collective effort.

tasmanuk

I should probably just buy the newer 3" box version as it would give me somewhere to store all of the HoN expansions I own. The base game barely fits into the 1" box (which is the one I own)

Ignore my query about the TEC changes. I misread the chart and everything seems to be the same as what my opponent has.

In terms of the cricket rules, it says that the American player as their first impulse has to choose a good order unit to sound the clacker. Once done the unit is placed under an Ops Complete marker, but this doesn't count as activation. The American player is free to activate any other eligible hex on the map.

The updated rule makes more sense, especially if you only have one unit left like you indicated in an above post. Had never really considered that situation before. I can attach a picture of the actual page in the module rules if that helps.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The unfortunate situation is that HON is OOP. You will have to make some scouting to find one of the few copies floating around. There are rumors that a new "gold" edition will come out eventually but I'm pretty sure this is many years down the road.

A possible, and more immediate, solution would be to buy a Ammo Box and the HON Companion Book. There is no change in the counters or maps so you would be all set.

Thank you for you offer of sending a picture of the actual module but it is exactly the same in my HON 3' box copy so I'm all set.