Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

In situ attack form up

blazingPanzer

I think it would useful for units to have the ability to conduct the reorg phase of the attack, which usually happens at the FUP, without leaving their initial positions and to only leave these at H hour. In situations with a relatively static front line which is close to the enemy the current behaviour regarding form up doesn't work out so well, as the units leave their trenches and move about in road column right next to the front line with predictable consequences. You can sort of get around this by moving the FUP further away from the enemy, but this forces your units to abandon their (presumably) hard won ground in order to make the assault, giving the enemy the opportunity to reoccupy it in the mean time; furthermore the distance which your assault units are required to cover during their attack is increased. In this sort of situation I think it would make sense for units to be capable of taking advantage of the protection provided their entrenchments to form up and begin their attack as close as possible to the enemy front line.

blazingPanzer

Referring to Dave's response to your thread I think that giving the player the ability to choose option 1), that is formation of task groups based soley on the current disposition of units, would be a very useful tool in the sort of situations I outlined above even if it results in poorly allocated groups. Given that CO focuses more heavily on mobile warfare implementing something like this is fairly low priority, but I still think it would be worth exploring in the future though.