Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Initiative - Bombardment

Sgt. Hulka

Question - When a side has initiative in the scenario and also has off board arty, can they spot prior to actually coming on board?

Example:
Scenario 12 of Storming the Gap: The Soviets have initiative with two formations. Soviets also have off board HE and off board smoke. Can either of those be fired prior to coming on the board?

If not, doesn't that mean the Soviets are susceptible to oppty fire, which is exactly what smoke is trying to reduce? Or trying to soften up the positions prior to the attack?

Apologies if i have missed something in the rules!

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Alas, no they cannot spot from off board. Disadvantage of a non double-blind game: units approaching the map do not actually know the locations of the enemy on the map. :) I hope this helps!

CRFout

The rules say no, and that makes perfect sense. However...

If you want to game it out, then the off-board strikes could be plotted on paper before any NATO units are placed on the board. Soviet planning doesn't always have to take local considerations into account. "The Stavka ordered a strike on hill 272, so we will conduct a strike on hill 272! If you don't like it, you can go argue with the Kommissar. I'm sure he will be understanding."

Keith Tracton

Staff member
The rules say no, and that makes perfect sense. However...

If you want to game it out, then the off-board strikes could be plotted on paper before any NATO units are placed on the board. Soviet planning doesn't always have to take local considerations into account. "The Stavka ordered a strike on hill 272, so we will conduct a strike on hill 272! If you don't like it, you can go argue with the Kommissar. I'm sure he will be understanding."

Lolololol!