Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Issue with the Malta 1940 scenario (The Cauldron module)

Amgot

At scenario start with the Malta 1940 scenario (part of the Cauldron module), because there is no Division or Brigade HQ assuming overall command of British forces on the island, the designated on-map boss is the HQ of the 2nd Bn Devonshire Rgt, one of the five battalions on the island. As it goes, this HQ's command capacity is completely overloaded from the start.

I see no Division or Brigade HQs set to arrive as reinforcements. Is the British player stuck with this lacking command structure?

I've found that old 2008 Matrix forum thread about the scenario, back when it was made for CotA: in it, Dave already signaled the issue to the scenario maker:
First off, the Allies have a Malta Command HQ but it never appears. Hence the senior Bn HQ ends up as the onMapBoss and is overloaded. This will mean excessive orders delay for the allied units - not good. I would start the Malta Command HQ on map at start. This is a Div HQ. Alas there are no Bde HQs to help share the staff load. I would add a Devonshire Bde HQ and a Malta Bde HQ and subordinate the Bns under them. In short your force needs some structure.

A good rule to follow is that if you bring on a second Bn of a Bde, also bring on the Bde HQ at that time.

So you need to review your force structure and your reinforcement arrivals.

Was this never fixed?

I may be missing something but I must say I'm a little suprised that the scenario wasn't fixed since it has since then been included (and sold) in a commercial module (The Cauldron).

If this was never fixed, is there a way to detach all the independant units (coastal batteries, AA units, etc) attached to the 2nd Bn HQ Devonshire Rgt, so it only remains the organic superior of its 4 regular infantry companies + mortar platoon?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I just checked this out. It's a gross oversight on my part. Sorry. There is a Malta Command HQ in the force list but the scenario designer has obviously failed to place it on map at start. It should be there. I've added it now. I won't release this updated scenario till I put out the patch as we've done a number of file conversions already and this new one won't work with your older build. But know that it is coming.

Amgot

@ioncore

I'm using the LnL version but I can easily switch to Steam if you release a fix - I already have my Steam keys for the different modules I own. How soon do you think you could roll out that fix?

Thanks your replies Dave and ioncore, that's great game support.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
@ioncore
I'm using the LnL version but I can easily switch to Steam if you release a fix - I already have my Steam keys for the different modules I own. How soon do you think you could roll out that fix?
Thanks your replies Dave and ioncore, that's great game support.

Should be within 24 hours from now. I'll let you know in this thread.