Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

JUMP!

What do you think of this?

SMC can move directly from a second story of a multi-story building to an external geometrically adjacent* hex. This movement only costs 1 MP. If the outside hex is lower than the second story (as it happens usually), the SMC must do a Morale Check without modifiers; if the SMC fails this Morale Checks, the SMC gets Wounded.

If several SMC are doing this movement and one gets Wounded, the rest cannot continue moving and must stay with the Wounded.

* "Geometrically adjacent" means that is adjacent in terms of the drawing of the map, not in terms of the game; because, as you may know, in terms of game a second story hex of a multi-story building is only adjacent to:
  • adjacent upper hexes of the second story inside the building
  • the hex below it

Cottonbaler

Carlos,

Why would you want an SMC to jump out of a window -- what situation are you thinking of? To avoid/escape a pending melee/capture of a lone SMC or un-SW SMC(s)? It seems like a desperate measure, and one that most SMCs would balk at to begin with.

At a minimum I would think the SMC would need to pass a morale check first to be able to even attempt a jump (and without the cover terrain modifier -- a straight-up morale check).

I would also think that a jump move would be a single movement action with no follow-on movement during that activation (needs to recover and collect himself after jumping).

And a jump would also trigger opportunity fire in the hex into which the SMC jumps.

Steve

Thanks for your comment, Cottonbaler. In my case, the need of the jump was a desperate action: a Leader was attempting to reach a group of (almost dead) Shaken units. Very cinematographic, indeed.

I prefer the Morale Check after the jump: from my point of view, the Leader or Hero does not doubt about jumping (he is going to save his men, even if it costs a broken leg). But I still have a doubt, do you think to do this movement the SMC must be in Good Order. As a desperate action, I would leave that even not Good Order SMC may do this movement.

It is true that I also thought that the jump could waste all the MPs of the SMC, but doing that the jump would lose much of its effectiveness.

Yes, the jump would trigger OF.

Last edited:

Cottonbaler

Carlos,

My view is that jumping would be a very desperate action and if you are going to do it it should be limited only to GO leaders. A lone shaken leader would be more interested in self-preservation than continuing the fight by jumping out of a window into the open where enemy weapons are trained.

The group of guys I play with and I most likely wouldn't use a jump because the action has a "gamey" feel to it and goes beyond our interpretation of the intent of the rules/system. There is something very satisfying about trapping one of your opponent's leaders in the upper story of a building with nowhere to go.

But if you and your gaming colleagues are for the jump rule, have fun with it!

Cheers,

Steve

To be honest, this situation only happened to me once, and was something like: ahhh, I have to jump to save those men! Without thinking too much.