Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Just got 5.1 manual

momodig

Wow this manual is big :) I'm not sure where to start. I have Heroes of Normandy, all t he player aids. The AI and the updated cards for the AI. Where should I start. Oh I was also given, a starter set, but it's out dated (probably use that with the new rule book). I've never played the game before - how should I start?

Thanks

Barthheart

Staff member
Start with the starter set. Nothing outdated about it. Use the rules that came with it they are all you need to get started. Play both side to start before using the AI.
Once yer good with the scenarios in that look for infantry only scenarios in HoN and play those with the new rules... hint you'll see there is little to no difference, just more clarifications and examples in the new rules.
Then expand into vehicle and arty. Then expand to using the AI.
Most of all have fun and push counters around.
And bring yer questions here and someone will try to answer them as fast as we can.

Welcome to the game. :)

momodig

TY for the replay, you break down seems very pratical, I shall follow it question....

The WW2 games I have experience with is Ambush, Warfighter and Combat! (Combat! is a bit harder rules wise then the the other two I listed but I managed). This is just to give you an idea how experience I am. I would admit I'm probably in between I'm not at the amateur level yet. I'd say somewhere in the center of Newbie and Amateur.

So my question is this.... Time isn't an issue, and I'm not going to rush, just curious roughly how many hours of play time would you plan attack take. Keep in mind I can keep the game setup and come back to it. I won't have to make room, i can stay on the table.

Thx

Barthheart

Staff member
Play definitely gets faster the more you play. The Starter pack scenarios should take a new player about an hour each to play, the first time. Once you become more familiar with the rules that time should reduce down to about 30 minutes, depending on how much you think about each action.
The scenarios in HoN are similar to those in the Starter pack, some smaller some much larger so can take from 30 minutes to a few hours to play out. Using the AI cards will actually add some time to the play of a scenario but then you only have to think about one side.

Hope that helps.

momodig

Hopefully I can start next weekend - question so I can picture this in my head, I'm use to man to man, how large is a squad chit? 5-7 guys, of course depending on type, but you generic troop squad ?

momodig

I got the game to the table, have the map, and all the chits for scenario one of the starts guide. I read the starters guide from top to bottem, but it's kinda - unclear... I have a print out of all the most recent player aids. How should I talk this. Should I just follow the sequence of play on the player air, and use the new manual as reference for options and such - it's actually now just starting the game is my issue- as stated I read the 4.1 rules for the start kit, but some of it unclear and mostly due to my poor memory... should I just wing and go? I'm not one for watching really long youtube vids to play... what would you suggest.. as I said the game is all set up, I'm ready for turn 1...

Barthheart

Staff member
... Should I just follow the sequence of play on the player air, and use the new manual as reference for options and such ... should I just wing and go?
This is definitely what you should do. Just start playing using the sequence and see what happens. Does one unit now see an enemy? How do I shoot at them? Look it up and see how to do it and see what happens. The more you move tuff and shoot stuff the faster you will learn the game.

momodig

This is definitely what you should do. Just start playing using the sequence and see what happens. Does one unit now see an enemy? How do I shoot at them? Look it up and see how to do it and see what happens. The more you move tuff and shoot stuff the faster you will learn the game.
Well I tried the game is off my table. Just to many rules, getting overwelmed no way I can remember all the ifs and buts and small rules - my brain isn't the best. Sad I wanted to to learn, there is just to much... I guess I'll see it, never gonna try :( Rule book is to convoluted with ifs ands, and a can do this if it doesn't do this, ect {(

momodig

Play definitely gets faster the more you play. The Starter pack scenarios should take a new player about an hour each to play, the first time. Once you become more familiar with the rules that time should reduce down to about 30 minutes, depending on how much you think about each action.
The scenarios in HoN are similar to those in the Starter pack, some smaller some much larger so can take from 30 minutes to a few hours to play out. Using the AI cards will actually add some time to the play of a scenario but then you only have to think about one side.

Hope that helps.
One hour I must be dumb :( I studdied and looked at the same pages of the rulebook for 30 minutes, took it off the table I just can't start and don't know where... I don't have time to watch vids... just so many exceptions and numbers and charts - it so overwhelming, hopefully I can get it back on the table one day... but not in the f uture.