Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Just played LnL Normandy with my 6 year old

Tony Bravo

It's the thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. As such we have some extra time this weekend with the holiday tomorrow, so I introduced my daughter to Heroes of Normandy today. She's 6.

We played the Rejoining the Regiment scenario. For those that haven't played the scenario, its an introductory scenario where your units enter from the road at the top of Map 15 and have to exit at the bottom of the road on Map 15.

She played the Germans as the Americans play a more reactionary role in the game. I wanted to keep her engaged in the game.

To make it easier, I stripped down a number of things. 1)I eliminated all support weapons and leaders due to unneeded complexity. 2) I removed all Opportunity Fire - I could only fire at her units if it was my turn and the units were in sight. 3) For damage resolution, it was simply, I roll a d6 and she rolls a d6 regardless of terrain. If she failed, she would due a moral check with no modifiers. 4) I allowed all of her units to be self rallying. 5) Didn't bother with melee - we'll get there in time

She understood how movement worked. She picked up fairly quickly how to calculate where she wanted to go and many movement points it would take to get her there.

Due to a number of bad rolls (and no I didnt fudge anything), she won the first game and wanted to try again. By the end of the second game (which she won - again due to the way I stripped the rules), she was loosing steam and interest. This was by no means because of the game, but more so after 45 minutes her little mind had had enough.

Overall, she enjoyed the game. What I found cute was that she took a very pacifist approach to the game. She wanted to move her squads around and get them off the board as quick as possible. She refused to fire at any of my squads. She gave me the "Daddy!?! You're firing again??!!!" every time my squad fired onto hers.

When we were done she gets up and says "I can't believe *I* won at an adults board game! And I'm a kid!!!".... so ya, shes hooked on LnL.....

Last edited:

Rydo

It's the thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. As such we have some extra time this weekend with the holiday tomorrow, so I introduced my daughter to Heroes of Normandy today. She's 6.

We played the Rejoining the Regiment scenario. For those that haven't played the scenario, its an introductory scenario where your units enter from the road at the top of Map 15 and have to exit at the bottom of the road on Map 15.

She played the Germans as the Americans play a more reactionary role in the game. I wanted to keep her engaged in the game.

To make it easier, I stripped down a number of things. 1)I eliminated all support weapons and leaders due to unneeded complexity. 2) I removed all Opportunity Fire - I could only fire at her units if it was my turn and the units were in sight. 3) For damage resolution, it was simply, I roll a d6 and she rolls a d6 regardless of terrain. If she failed, she would due a moral check with no modifiers. 4) I allowed all of her units to be self rallying. 5) Didn't bother with melee - we'll get there in time

She understood how movement worked. She picked up fairly quickly how to calculate where she wanted to go and many movement points it would take to get her there.

Due to a number of bad rolls (and no I didnt fudge anything), she won the first game and wanted to try again. By the end of the second game (which she won - again due to the way I stripped the rules), she was loosing steam and interest. This was by no means because of the game, but more so after 45 minutes her little mind had had enough.

Overall, she enjoyed the game. What I found cute was that she took a very pacifist approach to the game. She wanted to move her squads around and get them off the board as quick as possible. She refused to fire at any of my squads. She gave me the "Daddy!?! You're firing again??!!!" every time my squad fired onto hers.

When we were done she gets up and says "I can't believe *I* won at an adults board game! And I'm a kid!!!".... so ya, shes hooked on LnL.....
Very nice story!

Cute indeed that pacifist approach :)

A hug!