Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Leadership Modifier on counters

Grimshok

How come the special Leadership Modifier units (Medic, Nurse, Chaplain, Piper, etc) don't have some indication of their specific abilities *on* the counter? For example: a LM as a Red Number for Medic capability and a (I dunno... ) Black? circle for NON-Combat modifier Only. (A nurse, therefore) might have a red Leadership Modifier IN the black circle to indicate both).

Awesome Game! and BEST digital port of a hex-based table top wargame out there! Thank you!

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Not sure I understand the question. Medic don't have any modifier to exercise their ability so none is required on the counter. As for the other (nurse, chaplain, piper), the modifier (which is not a LM), as they are not leader) is on the counter! The only one that coud maybe benefit from having it on the counter is the advisor but he does not, per see, adjust the die roll, only gives a better morale to ARVN units with him.

Note that you are in the forum's section dedicated to the table top version of the game, not the digital :)

Last edited:

Grimshok

Sir, Thank you for responding! Sorry for the little-long read.

Yes, I understand I'm referring to the physical table-top counters. Maybe, because I'm new I don't really understand how the game mechanics work yet. I thought a Chaplain (for example) does provide a LM-TYPE modifier, indicated in the same spot as LM on a LEADER-leader, but used to Rally ONLY.

So.. having an indicator in the same position for a SMC (Single Man Counter?, is that correct?) that meant different things, is kind of confusing for me (as a newer player). Therefore I thought: "Huh. Maybe they could color-code or indicate somehow (maybe by shape) when a SMC can Rally Only (no tactical advantage). That'd make it easier for new players like me to understand when looking at the unit (counter), similar to an Assault Move indicator appears different, and you don't have to look it up by unit". Or.. that's pretty close to what I thought. Making the game easier for newer players might invite more players to play; hence the whole concept of LnLT vs much more complicated rulesets. BUT... in this case it would come at the cost of updating the counters, which .. might mean everybody would have to buy updated counters.

ALSO, and then, I had a second, separate thought: Some LEADER-Leaders are good tacticians but horrible motivators (rally), and some are great motivators but horrible at tactics. (I'm we can all think of a couple good examples). A second idea would be to have TWO LM-type numbers: Rally / Tactical.

Either suggestion above WOULD entail a lot of work. If they're not acceptable *shrugs* the game is pretty good 'as is' with 20 or so years of refinement. Thank you for all you do! and thank you for your reply and consideration!

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Hello Grimshok!

First, let me say I was wrong; they ARE called Leadership modifiers in the rules, even for nurses :) Now that I better understand your question/suggestion I think the first one (color coding the LM) is not a bad one because it is already there. People do work with them in black so adding color in a future reprint won't invalidate the previous editions. It gives more info on the coutetr without being intrusive.You would probably still have to look things up (for example, a nurse is limited to rallying two units) but more info would be conved right away from the counter.

The second one is also interesting but more difficult to implement, unless you flatly state that previous LM were identical on both the rallying and th tactical factor but units in new modules (not reprint) now have two different factors. That would allow older edition counters to still be relevant. That being said, one has to weight the real interest of this; is the game granulary enough to benefit from this chrome? Maybe...it does revolve, on a large part, around those unique individuals.

I'll put that in my box of ideas :)

Grimshok

Thank you, sir! You Rock! One the second part, I was just thinking it would give individual leaders much more.. flavor? impact? character? Anyway, again, thanks for helping continue to develop such an AWESOME product!