Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Line of Sight simplified (silhouette only for buildings/structures)

CAMALEON

Hi,

I think the LOS of this game is a bit complex/confused.

It's strange that you have LOS if you cross a "Light woods" hex when you don't touch the silhouette, but if you go along 2 light woods hexsides you have LOS degraded.
For buildings, this was changed with a -2 to the attack, but again it is strange, because if you have LOS NO through alongside, but go through 2 building hexes you don't have penalties.

So, My home rule is:
- I only use the silhouette rule for "building hexes". Al other hexes are full of type of the hexe (touch or not the silohuete)
- If the attack goes through 2 building hexes it have -2 to the attack (DFT) or +2 (OFT) ever.

It is more simply and it is more fast to test the LOS in the game.
Also, in this way certain contradictions with the LOS are eliminated.

Sorry for my bad english, it may sound a bit confused.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Note that the rules specify that the -2/+2 modifiers affect fire and spotting on any LOS traced at ANY ANGLE between two adjacent—and separate— Buildings, Bamboo Huts or other dwellings/structures.

CAMALEON

Note that the rules specify that the -2/+2 modifiers affect fire and spotting on any LOS traced at ANY ANGLE between two adjacent—and separate— Buildings, Bamboo Huts or other dwellings/structures.
Yes thanks. I lose that addition to the rule...

I think that if you have to look at all times if the LOS touch or not a silhouette in light woods is very tedious and it adds little to the gameplay.
Also, if shoot through building have penalties, why shoot through an light wood with the trees very close to each other do not have penalties?
Or i have missed anything...

CAMALEON

About this, In the LNLT Digital the "any angle" is not implemented. The modifier is applied ONLY when the LOS go alongside. (Teested in Assault on Vierville scenario)

Regards
Luis

mats77

@CAMALEON I do something similar. I don't check the silhouette for degrading terrain hexes, only blocking. In my games I consider that the degrading terrain covers its entire hex. Makes more sense to me, because I rather think of the artwork as something abstract/representative, not definitive.