Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LnL Tac counter sheets

Perry Pender

I was wondering if LnL had any thought to doing a line of extra counter sheets, such as a leaders sheets with characters from history and films for each side, national counter sheets by year or period.
What i mean is the following, it would be nice to have a sheet of leaders for instance, say 10 leaders for each nation or 5 if a small nation, so it would have a mix of leaders from history and film,
Oberst Brandt (James mason Cross of Iron)
Sgt Stiener (James Coburn Cross of Iron)
Kurt Knispel (possibly Germany's highest scoring tank Ace)
Obstf J.Pieper (of LSSAH fame)
Audi Murphy (you Americans know that boy)
Lt Winters (101st Screaming Eagles)
Sgt Buck Kite ( Tank Ace 3rd Royal Tank Regiment)
Sgt Pavlov (of Pavlov's House Fame)
and there are many many more to pick.
and then National sheets with more Tanks and stuff, so you could have a German Herr and SS vehicle sheet for 1943 with all the vehicles sporting the dunkel Gelb and overspray paint scheme and those sort of things. I would certainly buy more of them as I like big fights.

what do folk think?

all the best

Perry

Norm

Nice idea - though some limitations in application in those few instances that copyright exists. perhaps another compendium type product would be a good way to deliver.

Rydo

What you're suggesting is an ASL style of things? Entite OOB for each nation?

In a sense we already have them but mixed.

For example the US :
- 101st, 82nd, Heroes of Normandie;
- US Army late war, Noville;
- US Army early war, Heroes of North Africa;
- USMC, Heroes of the Pacific.

About leaders, well movie ones are obviously excluded as they'll need licenses.
Real ones coul be done if Ln'l will start release historicall modules.

All in all i don't think Ln'l will waste energies releasing just countersheets with added stuff ( that will require investments as new artworks shoul be made and all the works for assembling, printing, an so on ) for something only few will purchase.

How much for a german '43 OOB sheet?
And if a new module gets released about a '43 war period and inside there is another '43 countersheet? I'll get doubles and pay an extra price for units i already have?

Don't seem feasible to me, but i may be wrong :)

BTW i won't purchase them.

Perry Pender

Good point, But the idea or premise would be easy to impliment, and as to the copy right, we already have James Coburn as Sgt Steiner, I think he comes in the Noville module. Or if copy right is something LnL want to keep away from, then simply make it just historical commanders, there are so many to choose from.

As to the National/Faction counter sheets that would be something along these lines.

Early War 1939-1942
German Heer (AFV and vehicles in Panzer Grey)
Waffen SS As above
Brits (a mix of BEF & Desert Rats)
American (
French (as per HiD)
Russian (more early war AFV/ BT-5/7, T-26, T-28, BA-10 etc & some Russian Cavalry)

Mid war Early 1943-Early 1944
German Heer & Waffen SS Dunkel gelb with camo over spray for AFV, (more Pz III J/L and Pz IVH & Panther etc.)
Russian (lots more T34 76mm, SU 85, KV-85 etc)
Brits Shermans, Churchils, Cromwells, Archers, Wolverines.
Americans more shermans and M3 Grants.

Late war Mid 1944-end of war
more of the same but with the later types of Tanks and MMC for each nation.
I do feel that LnL have an awesome system, I have only just got into it, but even though I am a new comer I can see the massive potential there is in the Heroes of series.

Keep it coming LnL as you are doing a great job in my humble opinion.

Perry

Perry Pender

What you're suggesting is an ASL style of things? Entite OOB for each nation?

In a sense we already have them but mixed.

For example the US :
- 101st, 82nd, Heroes of Normandie;
- US Army late war, Noville;
- US Army early war, Heroes of North Africa;
- USMC, Heroes of the Pacific.

About leaders, well movie ones are obviously excluded as they'll need licenses.
Real ones coul be done if Ln'l will start release historicall modules.

All in all i don't think Ln'l will waste energies releasing just countersheets with added stuff ( that will require investments as new artworks shoul be made and all the works for assembling, printing, an so on ) for something only few will purchase.

How much for a german '43 OOB sheet?
And if a new module gets released about a '43 war period and inside there is another '43 countersheet? I'll get doubles and pay an extra price for units i already have?

Don't seem feasible to me, but i may be wrong :)

BTW i won't purchase them.

You miss the point, it would not be an entire OOB, but a snap shot as it were. as an example lets take a potential Waffen SS mid war counter sheet.
Most will already have the MMC so we would need a single counter sheet with say an extra 10 historical leader SMC counter 8 PZ IVH counters 8 Panther D/G counters 8 Pz II J/L counters and say 5 or so SDKFZ 251/1 counters

as to your point about doubles, that is already happening in the LnL world, look at the German leaders and the MMC! lots of replication going on there.

it would be doable, and very feasible, just would take a small amount of planning and effort and say a small P500 campaign to test the waters.

I would not want to see an ASL style approach (I have a lot of ASL and it is just ridiculous the price attached to the stuff), but rather a selective approach.

all the best

Perry

Rydo

Good point, But the idea or premise would be easy to impliment, and as to the copy right, we already have James Coburn as Sgt Steiner, I think he comes in the Noville module. Or if copy right is something LnL want to keep away from, then simply make it just historical commanders, there are so many to choose from.

As to the National/Faction counter sheets that would be something along these lines.

Early War 1939-1942
German Heer (AFV and vehicles in Panzer Grey)
Waffen SS As above
Brits (a mix of BEF & Desert Rats)
American (
French (as per HiD)
Russian (more early war AFV/ BT-5/7, T-26, T-28, BA-10 etc & some Russian Cavalry)

Mid war Early 1943-Early 1944
German Heer & Waffen SS Dunkel gelb with camo over spray for AFV, (more Pz III J/L and Pz IVH & Panther etc.)
Russian (lots more T34 76mm, SU 85, KV-85 etc)
Brits Shermans, Churchils, Cromwells, Archers, Wolverines.
Americans more shermans and M3 Grants.

Late war Mid 1944-end of war
more of the same but with the later types of Tanks and MMC for each nation.
I do feel that LnL have an awesome system, I have only just got into it, but even though I am a new comer I can see the massive potential there is in the Heroes of series.

Keep it coming LnL as you are doing a great job in my humble opinion.

Perry

A lot of work for the artists and this will cost a lot for how much revenue?

How much one of those packs will cost for you?

Your idea could work but we need to add another piece on this tower you're creating.

Somekind of weekly release of printable scenarios for those counters or some scenario packs and also we need maps.

What do you suggest?

Rydo

At this point just call them expansions like Hell frozen over ( exp for Pacific ) that will also adds maps and scenarios.

Perry Pender

At this point just call them expansions like Hell frozen over ( exp for Pacific ) that will also adds maps and scenarios.
Well yes, what ever needs to be done, but the point is it could be done and done well as I am sure LnL could do easy.
It would take work but it would be more than doable if the P500 system is employed.

Rydo

Well yes, what ever needs to be done, but the point is it could be done and done well as I am sure LnL could do easy.
It would take work but it would be more than doable if the P500 system is employed.
How much for one of your suggested packs? Give us a price.

I would think of getting them if price is good and they are supported.

What i will do with a german ss whateverdivision if there will be no scenarios to use them with?

Perry Pender

How much for one of your suggested packs? Give us a price.

I would think of getting them if price is good and they are supported.

What i will do with a german ss whateverdivision if there will be no scenarios to use them with?

Now that is a good question, so I will attempt to answer as best as I can.

Noville-Bastognes outpost is roughly £30 here in the UK so roughly $40US at todays rates. If we go on the same approach for a counter sheet/pack so a Historical map or maybe a couple of new geo maps a counter sheet with as said new leaders and vehicles and maybe some WT and a set od scenario or even a campaign then the same price should be doable surley, LnL have already shown it is doable.

The question then is one of do you do it in the form of historical battle packs, or add on OOB's with scenario and maps attached as a sort of faction booster pack?

what do you think?

Perry

Perry Pender

and as to scenario, the game is open enough to build your own, as war gamers we are by definition a creative/imaginative bunch, so if there is a lack of scenario then we can always build our own, i for one would be happy with just simple Counter OOB packs so i can build and play my own large battles. you could do a decent 2 or 3 sheet counter pack for £30 easy I should imagine.

Perry Pender

I think those are called Expansions and we already have them.

New stuff is always good, well'see.

and as an expansion/s you can never really run out of ideas, what we have is good, but there is lots of room for more, a lot more.

Broadsword56

In the meantime, we can be creative and make our own stuff for print-and-play to enjoy and share.
The tools are out there, and the information is out there.
I'm working now on some extra PnP counters for Heroes of North Africa to bring the British Long Range Desert Group back to life -- with their special gun trucks and jeeps, plus named historical patrol leaders.

Perry Pender

In the meantime, we can be creative and make our own stuff for print-and-play to enjoy and share.
The tools are out there, and the information is out there.
I'm working now on some extra PnP counters for Heroes of North Africa to bring the British Long Range Desert Group back to life -- with their special gun trucks and jeeps, plus named historical patrol leaders.
Am in the process of making some up for the module I am working on, juts wish I could cartoon the characters for SMC counters same as DJ does.

Broadsword56

You can take a historical soldier image and run some Gimp filters on it. Then it will look more like a counter image and not be as photographic. I like the b/w leader images I do this way because they look more serious and historical to me than the original color leader images.
I like to use "cartoonify" filter first and then "oilify." Play with the settings and undo a lot until you see something you like.

Rydo

Am in the process of making some up for the module I am working on, juts wish I could cartoon the characters for SMC counters same as DJ does.
You can try with gimp to cut and clean the immage you want to use then you could still use gimp to finish the counter or use another tool ( i'm using photoshop for the counters i made, like the one on my profile ) to make them more similar to lock'n load style OR try your luck and ask Dj himself :)

BTW if you allow me to say that, don't bother yourself with the counter artwork, there's always time for that! Spend it to balance the scenarios as much as you can and i'm more than willing to test your scenarios about your 13 of june project ;)

Rydo

You can take a historical soldier image and run some Gimp filters on it. Then it will look more like a counter image and not be as photographic. I like the b/w leader images I do this way because they look more serious and historical to me than the original color leader images.
I like to use "cartoonify" filter first and then "oilify." Play with the settings and undo a lot until you see something you like.
Also with photoshop, add some filters, cut and clean the immage and it can be done!

I saw once a photo ( i may be wrong tough ) on BGG where a user made a Band of Brothers ( tv show ) scenario and in the immages posted you can see counters of Cpt. Winters and the others done in a way you described.