Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LOS – Walls & hedges: five examples

Tony Gray

Tracing LOS through walls and hedges is a perennial source of confusion for my group. Here are five examples / questions, based on how I understand the rules. I'd appreciate confirmation or correction!

Here's the map. Treat bocage as hedge.

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 10.15.42 PM.png

I am clear about these:
1. The German squad in J7 has clear LOS to the British squad in H6 (Core rules 5.0, LOS Example 14).
2. The German squad in J7 has clear LOS to the British squad I5 (Core rules 5.0, LOS Example 13).
3. The German squad in J7 does not have LOS to the British squad in G6 (Core rules 5.0, LOS Example 14).

I am not sure about this:
4. The German squad in L6 does not have LOS to the British squad in H6 (or the one in G6 (that, at least, is clear)).

And I am not sure about this:
5. While it is clear to me that the hedge does not block the LOS from J7 to H6, it seems strange to me that it doesn't at least degrade it. If the brush in G7 degrades LOS from G8 to G6, it seems reasonable to me that crossing a hedge hexside would similarly degrade LOS. No?

Huge thanks. I really enjoy this game.

-- Tony

Barthheart

Staff member
You have all your examples correct.
As for the degrading, I think of it this way:
The hedge is just a thin line of foliage that the Brits are right up against thus not giving any real cover.
The brush on the other hand is 100 m thick and therefore would have more of a chance in obscuring the target.
That lets me sleep at night at least.

Tony Gray

You have all your examples correct.
As for the degrading, I think of it this way:
The hedge is just a thin line of foliage that the Brits are right up against thus not giving any real cover.
The brush on the other hand is 100 m thick and therefore would have more of a chance in obscuring the target.
That lets me sleep at night at least.

Thanks for the helpful and speedy reply!

Yes, your way of looking at the hedge vs brush helps me sleep at night, too. I also imagine degrading terrain eroding the effectiveness of fire passing through it – by obstructing or blocking some of it, say. A thin line of hedge doesn't obstruct or block much, whereas 100 m of brush will definitely interfere with bullets and such passing through it. This also helps me think of why on-board mortar fire is not penalized for tracing LOS through degrading terrain.

Walls, like hedges, when not blocking are not degrading either; but at least walls have a +1 Target Modifier, the equivalent of one level of degrading.

Thanks again!