Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LOS/Spotting and Fire Combat Rules

docsmann

1. There's a 1-4-3-4 VC squad in hex I3, a 1-4-3-4 VC squad w/GO leader in hex J5, another 1-4-3-4 VC squad in L3, a VC sniper in M3 and a 2-6-4-5 American squad has just moved into hex I4 along the road. Can the VC squads in I3 and J5 attack the American squad and combine their IFP?

2. Same set up as 1 but the VC squads in I3 and J5 lay low. The sniper wants to engage from M3. A straight line drawn from the center of M3 to I4 has it passing through hex K4 with bamboo huts. The line does not pass through or touch any silhouette in K4. Is the snipers LOS still considered blocked?

3. Are hexes with enemy units that haven't moved/fired etc. and are adjacent to friendly GO units considered spotted or must the enemy physically fire on the friendly unit for the hex to be considered spotted?

This is Map 1

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
1. No, you can never combine fire from two different hexes
2. No
3. They are automatically considered spotted as long as the friendly GO unit stay adjacent, that is, as long as the reason for them being spotted still exist. The only exception would be:
A) the ennemy units are Steath unit located in degrading or blocking terrain
B) The GO unit is a buttoned vehicle and the ennemy units are located in degrading or blocking terrain

Last edited:

docsmann

Stephane Tanguay,
1. What I hear you saying is that the line drawn from the center of one hex to the center of the target hex has to touch or pass through the silluete of the blocking/degrading terrain in order for LOS to be blocked. Is that correct?

2. I think I may need to re-phrase my question for #3. The terrain in I3 of map 1 is light jungle (degrading terrain). When the GO American squad moves into I4, I understand that the HEX is automatically spotted due to being adjacent. But is the VC squad in I3 spotted?
Logic and being military tells me that if the VC in I3 lay low and allow the Americans to continue down the road, being that it is 50m (55y) in light jungle, the American should have to attempt to 'spot' the hex. If successful in their spotting attempt, then the VC are spotted. Otherwise the VC remain hidden in an ambush.

Thank you for your input.

Doc

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
1. Has to touch the silhouette, yes
2. When a hex is spotted, all units in said hex are spotted, as long as the spotting cause is still effective (in this case, adjacency by a GO unit other than a buttoned vehicle) and they are spotted for all friendly units, even those which don't have LOS at that time but have it later in the impulse. If OP fire would shake the American unit, then the hex (and all units in it) would not be spotted any longer. As another example, moving units entering a hex with other friendly, so far unspotted, units, cause them to become spotted until the moving units leave the hex, "removing" the spotting condition, at which point the non moving units revert to "unspotted" status.

Might seem unrealistic but makes for an easier management of the spotted status

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Well, yes, there is always an exception :) and skills and SSR are often breaking the generic rules. Note that, in the case of Pour it On, only one leader (the one using the skill) is needed in either hex. Also, it essentially allow that leader hex to be activated (only to fire) in addition to the originaly activated hex (where some units will have to fire obviously but others could move, etc.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick comeback. As a newbie, it's good to know that I played it correctly, only it's too bad that it's a one-time only use.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
On the contrary;it would make for a too powerfull skill if it was not :)