Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Low Crawl and Assault Move

Arnaud Bouis

Edit: I made a mistake in my previous thread. I meant Assault Move, not Close Assault. Therefore, I am posting the corrected question :

Can a MMC low crawl and assault move at the same time ?

The rule doesn't say that Low Crawl expends all the unit's Movement Points, so can for instance a MMC spend 2 MP to assault move into one forest hex, thus receiving a benefit of Low Crawl (no +1 on the DFT), then fire ?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Again, the rules under 6.3 don't explicitly mention that Low Crawl use all the unit's MP but it say that a unit that Low Crawl spend its entire impulse to move one hex. Thus, it cannot do anything else beside Low Crawl.

To be perfectly clear, if you Low Crawl, you move only one hex and you can't do anything else. In fact, it is because of this that the following rule clarification was added to v5.1 regarding Laying smoke: A unit that successfully lays smoke can’t Low Crawl in the same impulse afterward.

You can't mix Low Crawl with any other actions. The only exception (and frankly, it is an overview which will be corrected in the next version of the rules) is Melee. There is nothing in the rules that specifically prohibit it but, at the same time, sicne with Low Crawl you can only move one hex, meaning you would have to be adjacent, and because there is no Op fire as you enter the Melee hex, you might as well go in moving instead of Low Crawl; it won't make any difference.

Arnaud Bouis

Merci Stéphane.

To me, the rule wording is not clear :

The rule's wording only states that you cannot fire when low crawling, since you must spend your whole impulse moving one hex.

With the current wording, you can understand that you can assault move one hex (without firing), and thus benefit from the lack of DFT +1 modifier, when opportunity fire is conducted against you (low crawl). and you are not spotted.
If you did nothing but move one hex, then you satisfy the requirements of Low Crawl.

Am I wrong ?

The rulebook could make it clear that Assault Movement and Low Crawl are mutually exclusive, if so it is. This would make it easy to understand.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Bonjour Arnaud!

if you move one hex by low crawling, you are marked Low Crawl (not Assault Move) and thus cannot fire in the same or a later impulse (because units marked with a Low crawl amrker can't fire). If you move one hex by Assault move, then you are marked Assault move but can fire in the same or a later impulse (because units marked Assault mvoe are not prevented form firing). It is thus clear you can't combine both type of movement.

Will try to make this clearer in the next version of the rules (in many, many years :)). The way to go is to say that Low Crawl is mutually exclusive to anything :)

Arnaud Bouis

Merci encore, Stéphane.

This clears it up for me and my gaming partner. Before the rule is amended many, many years from now in another Galaxy, maybe this can find a place the FAQ ?
;)

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Already slated for that (the new edition of the LNLT Clarifications and Corrections document)