Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Malame Historical Campaign

Guy Miller

I'm going to give this a go, in spite of some continuing technical problems with CO2. Hopefully I can get through the entire campaign.

I picked this scenario because of all the options in CO2, this battle was the one I knew the least about, and so didn't have much historical expectations on how the battle would go, except the obvious historical outcome. I have very little knowledge of sequence of events and forces involved, which I thought would make for an interesting campaign.

This is my first CO2 AAR, so please give helpful criticism of both tactics and presentation.

The Malame airport is the main objective early on. The airport is dominated by Point 107 because of the fantastic LOS is has over the area. So, in order to take the airfield, I must take the hill

Screenshot (53).png

The initial Allied forces (that I had intel on) were a mix of INF, Flak guns, LMG's and MMG's, Dingos and some armor. The Vickers I am not too worried about as they are thin skinned. But I am thinking the Matildas are going to be a problem. My plan is to suppress with airstrikes and hopefully surround it with units with some AT capabilities in close combat.

i plan to storm the hill and take the airfield with quick, decisive assaults. I do have some para drops coming in right away so I will have some units on the ground shortly to give me a base of fire. I hope to advance into a suppressed enemy from 2 sides.

Malame Airfield assault.png

What I learned was that it took a while for my forces to reorg. And I learned that I didn't give enough thought to: A) my intel was not complete, and B) keeping enemy reinforcements tied up. Still, as midnight approached, both the airfield and the hill were in my hands.

Malame midnight1.png

Elsewhere, I lost some isolated units and built up a strong-point at Galatas. The south AA Bty was also neutralized.The Brits are coming out of nowhere and I did not give enough thought to setting up defensive positions.

Screenshot (56).png Screenshot (60).png

My forces at Galatas are precariously situated, due to poor planning on my part. Depending on what the Brits do around the airport, I plan to send some forces East along to the coast to alleviate some pressure around Galatas. I also need to be mindful of counterattacks.

Attachments

• Screenshot (51).png
    Screenshot (51).png
    852.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (54).png
    Screenshot (54).png
    898.3 KB · Views: 5

Guy Miller

Day 3 - 0600hrs

The airfield & Pt 107 saw some counterattacks by some Mech Inf and the Matilda's. Though it was determined, I fought it off easily. EIn the morning I brought up some 3.7cm PAK and chased the Matilda's away. My engineers stalled trying to reach defensive position around the DIV HQ and Base. Some fire from high ground to the south pinned them. Eventually I brought my engineers and and FJ Reg from the East to assualt Marmaras. That fight lasted all afteernoon and I never got it. Both sides suffered heavy losses.

I managed to bring up a GJ Reg eastward on the main highway. Hopefully they can get through to the beleaguered troops around Marmaras on day 3.

D2 mid.png
D2 west.png mid2a.png plan for D3.png

Guy Miller

Day 3 saw few surprises. The most significant event was a British assault on Galatas from Prison Valley. My forces were weak in the area the previous days failed assaults, but, I was more than ready. just as they started the assault, I launched a 3 pronged attack on them out in the open. I wiped the British forces out entirely by encircling them.

The other rather unpleasant surprise was that a few Allied units infiltrated the airfield area during the night. This was because I failed to set up an adequate perimeter - a mistake I won't make again. These units shouldn't be too hard to deal with though. Still, lesson learned - the AI will keep trying to retake the Objectives!

My plan for day 4 is to probe East, set up defenses in key spots, assault along the highway and keep the pressure on!

D4 plans.png D4mid.png D4midwest.png D4west.png

Guy Miller

Day 4 brought then airfield and PT107 under complete German dominance. All counter-attacks were met and defeated. A proper defensive perimeter was set up. Further up the highway, an Allied force was surrounded and will be completely eliminated on Day 5. Fortunately it is mainly infantry, with very little armor. Armor continues to give me fits when I meet it. however, I do now have an abundance of AT guns, even some 5cm guns.

The Allies launched a sizable counter-offensive out of Khania. Fortunately I was ready for it and met it head on. I should be able to surround the city on this day. The probe East met resistance and bogged down immediately. I will see what I can do to help out the push East, which is where some major objectives will lie.

D5west.png
D5 midwest.png
D5mid.png
D5east.png
D5plans.png

Guy Miller

This is the report after 6 days.The action now revolves around Khania and the race for the Eastern exit. The city is just a shoot out. However, the Allies have armor in there so I brought up my AT guns, but they got shot up pretty good. Lack of serious artillery and the ineffectiveness of airstrikes in the city make this a tough battle. Hopefully I can win it through sheer numbers. All other forces will be making their way eastward to the exit. there's a narrow channel which everyone must go through. We will see if the AI takes advantage of the high ground.

D6Khania.png D6east.png D6overall.png

Daz

Loving it :)

This is quite a hard scenario, so well done for taking it on and doing a grand job of it so early in your Command Ops Career ;)

Small critique on your movement arrows.
Are you using multiple colours for a reason? If so a key indicating which formations movement they are meant to represent would be helpful.
I personally would stick to different shades of blue for friendly forces, and red for enemy, to make it easier to understand at a glance.

Guy Miller

thanks Daz. This is my second go-round with CO. I have been frustrated with some technical issues but Dave is very helpful and hopeful the new build will solve my issues. I am pretty serious WW2 gamer and an avid reader on the subject as well.

Ha, yes I agree my artwork is pitiful :) I am confident I can improve at that as well. I also want to do add more commentary as I find that helpful from the CO2 veterans who post AAR's.

I should finish up the scenario today.

Guy Miller

Well, I thought I was going to do a little better after Day 6, but several roadblocks to the far eastern edge blocked my exit, and, I was suspect to repeated counter-attacks. this was a flaw of mine the entire campaign.

Taking Khania wasn't very hard. I got my forces in position by Day 6, rested them, then attacked at dawn day 7. I had to scramble a bit to hold of the counter attacks as my guys were exhausted. Fatigue became a serious issue (gotta love CO2!!). I simply just ran out of cohesive units by the end of Day 7 to push through to the exit. One more day.....

This was a fantastic campaign to go through. Mostly infantry, lots of movement, different kinds of attacks, 8 days, varying objectives. Highly recommended.
finalassault.png khania.png D8action.png roadblock.png Marginal Victory.png

Guy Miller

thank you. What I wouldn't have done for just one PZ IV!!

I hope to continue playing CO2 but have to get the technical difficulties taken care of. Truly this is an awesome gaming experience.