Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Tainster

I’m trying to alter some of the map patterns to visually represent terrain in a way that is more ‘realistic’ for the map I’m currently working on; for example, rocks, cliffs, mud etc. The standard pattern definitions are set out in the map pattern files MapPat.bmp & MapPatA and I would be able to alter the graphic of an individual pattern to suit my purpose if I could identify which pattern represents its corresponding terrain in the MapPat files. For example, in the MapPat.bmp & MapPatA.bmp files, it is clear that the top 5 lines are representations of an urban environment but below that, although I can take an informed guess, I cannot be certain of any of the other terrain depictions.
I could do with a bit of help with this if possible.

I’m trying to alter some of the map patterns to visually represent terrain in a way that is more ‘realistic’ for the map I’m currently working on; for example, rocks, cliffs, mud etc. The standard pattern definitions are set out in the map pattern files MapPat.bmp & MapPatA and I would be able to alter the graphic of an individual pattern to suit my purpose if I could identify which pattern represents its corresponding terrain in the MapPat files. For example, in the MapPat.bmp & MapPatA.bmp files, it is clear that the top 5 lines are representations of an urban environment but below that, although I can take an informed guess, I cannot be certain of any of the other terrain depictions.
I could do with a bit of help with this if possible.
I had a map where I wanted to depict a "reef" in an ocean. Because the standard map patterns I used included "dike" which wasn't going to be depicted on the map, I changed the attributes of "dike" to those I wanted as "reef" and changed the name on the map layer index.

Before you select a layer whose attributes you want to change, make sure you won't be needing that layer in a standard map and that the new layer you create matches the type (area or line) you're creating.

Tainster

I had a map where I wanted to depict a "reef" in an ocean. Because the standard map patterns I used included "dike" which wasn't going to be depicted on the map, I changed the attributes of "dike" to those I wanted as "reef" and changed the name on the map layer index.

Before you select a layer whose attributes you want to change, make sure you won't be needing that layer in a standard map and that the new layer you create matches the type (area or line) you're creating.
Hi Jim,
I’ve identified the layers that I want to change but I can’t see how they correspond to the MapPat key layers. I’ve made backups of the original MapPat files, and can revert to, should I make a complete hash of it!

Hi Jim,
I’ve identified the layers that I want to change but I can’t see how they correspond to the MapPat key layers. I’ve made backups of the original MapPat files, and can revert to, should I make a complete hash of it!
That was a difficulty I had, but you can identify the MapPat patterns to change by looking at the pattern the layers show on the index of available layers and matching them to that portion of the MapPat. What's more important is getting the layer attributes correct for the movement, vision and combat affects in the region you want to depict, though it helps to have a different pattern than the standard to help quickly visualize a region's impact on movement and combat.

Hi Jim,
I’ve pretty much figured it out now. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome.

So long as I've encountered the problem, I'll try to offer the solution to how I solved it.

The on line documentation contains a wealth of help, but sometimes one has to interpolate what information in them addresses the probloem.

Biggest problem with any documentation is indexing solutions in terms of how a user may first perceive / define the problem. The person producing the index can't think of all the different ways a person may describe a problem when looking for a solution.