Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Map Making

Grognerd

So I found this nice site, most of you already probably know about it. I did not.
OLDMAP.ORG - You can look at maps from all over the world at different times. Not too hard to figure out how to navigate in it.

I'm researching the tank battle at Dubno/Brody in June 23 1941 - At the very opening of Operation Barbarossa, Army Group South.

I found Polish tactical maps of the whole region dated 1935. German and British road maps dated 1941. I downloaded 7 KML files to Google earth and ended up with the whole region shown in precise tactical detail. Terrain, elevation, roads. It's a very good resource - I can click on the KML file and look at the differences between the land 80 years ago and today. Very good for deducing the amount of urbanization and deforestation, added roads and such.

Also great at basing war game maps on these files.
Just thought I would let the community know about this resource.

Addendum: I've cruised around a bit. This seems to be all made up of European areas, I did not find out how to navigate to the pacific theater.

Last edited:
So I found this nice site, most of you already probably know about it. I did not.
OLDMAP.ORG - You can look at maps from all over the world at different times. Not too hard to figure out how to navigate in it.

I'm researching the tank battle at Dubno/Brody in June 23 1941 - At the very opening of Operation Barbarossa, Army Group South.

I found Polish tactical maps of the whole region dated 1935. German and British road maps dated 1941. I downloaded 7 KML files to Google earth and ended up with the whole region shown in precise tactical detail. Terrain, elevation, roads. It's a very good resource - I can click on the KML file and look at the differences between the land 80 years ago and today. Very good for deducing the amount of urbanization and deforestation, added roads and such.

Also great at basing war game maps on these files.
Just thought I would let the community know about this resource.
Thanks.

It's bookmarked under my Google "wargames/games development" file.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
FYI this was one of the potential candidates for the EF scenario pack in the past.
I have some amount of mothballed scenario work waiting for its time, see e.g. this

Grognerd

Hey, that was the Tank battle of AGS, 1st panzer army, 48th pz Korp, 11th pz. Battle of Radziechow, prelude to Brody/Dubno.
Here is my source Mapscan. BTW you guys do really nice maps!

MapScan 0.jpg

Grognerd

The Brody Dubno area has a lot of possible scenarios with the 11 Pz, 16th Pz and 13 & 14th Pz. Some wins some losses. Introduced the Germans to the T-34 & KV-1.