Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Map Textures Mod

GeneralGandhi

HI!

I was wondering if some alternative textures have been created. Different textures apart from the default ones whether officialy of by gamers.
It's surprising to find such a variety of textures for the venerable COTA:
http://web.archive.org/web/20140809072616/http://cota.matrixgames.com/downloads/#mods

Especially calling attention the paper map feeling of the called "Back to Colored Paper 4"

paper4preview.jpg

simovitch

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work in CO2, It's bitmap based and not much has changed in the graphics department. It would be great to see some quality terrain mods done for CO2.

GeneralGandhi

It would be great to see some quality terrain mods done for CO2.

Bingo. These files are more than ten years old. Surely someone skilled in graphic editing can make better graphics.

Where can you get it, do you know?

You can download them in the top link

And yes, they work in CO2; but it would be interesting to have updated options for 2018 CO2, like those graphical mods for the 2006 COTA.

B13EB8F4D59109D08F5B9E5E7AA9B41C6317D836

Last edited:

Shadrach

Yeah they work - thanks to Archive.org :)

But now since the engine has several different theatres as well as ground conditions like ice, mud etc, you'd need to make different textures for all of those...

By the way, I was reminded of that Spanish Civil War scenario - was it actually ever finished and playable, would it work in CmdOps2?

GeneralGandhi

The mod of the battle of Jarama is absolutely stopped; to make something credible, the civil war requires modifications of the engine to adapt it to the doctrine and technology of 36-39 ... artillery, cavalry ...

john connor

I think the stock maps and map style are superb, I must say. It's nice to have options, but they're not needed. Stock COTA was great. I did try the paper mod ages ago and went back to stock, in the end.

HenricE

Personally I'd love some high res topographical maps to play on. A personal preference, certainly, but you'd capture a whole lot of immersion updating the maps a bit.

Do you have a picture of what you mean?
Here's a document on United States Geological Survey Topo map symbols.

It appears to have most of the same terrain features included on the CO2 combat maps though something like "polder" would have to be defined with two terrain designations (e.g. "land subject to inundation" / "shrubland"). The terrain textures tend to follow CO2 textures except for the color depth and limitations of the bitmap size used to define them. Where the maps differ is in the use of colors to define height layers. Those height layer colors tend to mask the terrain feature information.

Attachments

• topomapsymbols.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 30

GeneralGandhi

I think that someone capable in graphic editing, modifying the bitmaps could achieve a fabulous appearance, the previous images attest to that. What is surprising is that the community has not modified the bitmaps since CoTA.

However, it would not be wrong to avoid colors to indicate different altitudes, and introduce level lines, more map symbols...

cwr-editor.jpg

P.D: ...and add the possibility of rotating the signs to adjust them to the itinerary of roads, railways and roads ...

Captura de pantalla 2018-06-14 a las 17.06.00.png

Last edited:

kipanderson

Hi,

I too have always been a fan of out and out, straight forward topographical maps for wargames. But rare to find them. They would give a great new feel to COs.

All the best,
Kip.

Grognerd

Since I'm here I suppose you just replace the stock graphics in the graphics folder? Nothing fancy like creating a new folder call alt graphics? (or something like that)

john connor

I just went back and tried the paper mod again, and actually, it's really nice.

Just back up the graphics file in the main folder, Grognerd, then copy the relevant files over. There are various terrain conditions in game - ice, snow, mud, normal etc - just copy the three files from the paper mod into each terrain condition file. The paper mod uses the same scheme for all terrain conditions. I really like it. Contours are very clear. And it looks like a map!

There were 3 other map mods in the link given above. Might try them too.

john connor

Well, it's true that Jim is always there, Grognerd - like what? - like our 'fairy quartermaster', perhaps...but actually in this case I beat him to it. The relevant sub-folder to swap out the files in, is the Map folder in the graphics folder, by the way.