Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Marder II - does it appear in any title?

Broadsword56

In Heroes of the Motherland, Dark July, and Heroes of Normandy, I see the only Marder version provided under German Heer or SS armor is the Marder I.

Q: Does the the Marder II appear in any LnLT game? Which one(s)?

According to Wikipedia, the Marder I "mounted a modified Soviet 7.62 cm gun firing German ammunition, while the [Marder II] mounted the German 7.5 cm Pak 40 gun. ... the Marder II (and similar Marder III) provided a great increase in firepower over contemporary German tanks during 1942 and into 1943."

Q: Since the Marder II was active as early as 1942, why isn't it in the game?

Q: Does anyone want to suggest what the LnLT front and back counter factors should be for a Marder II?
(At least that would help those of us who want to pretend the Marder I counter is a Marder II, or mod one of our own).

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
I"m going through all my LNL(T) games right now to compile a inclusive counters list and I have not seen any Marder II. As for your two other questions, 1 don't have any answer to offer.

Broadsword56

I think the answer to my own question is:
It doesn't matter because the "great increase in firepower" real-life difference between these particular main guns isn't reflected in the LnL Tactical ratings.

Example: The Marder II had the same 7.5 cm PaK 40 gun as the StuG IIIG, which has a counter in the game. If the bigger gun were accounted for in the game, then the ratings for a StuG IIIG should look better than those for a Marder I. But they're identical:

HE equivalent: 3 (same for both)

To-hit table (same for both):
7-14-28
9-7-6
5-4-3

The Pz IV tank and the 75mm AT gun both use this same table, too.