Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Mare Nostrum (Thread 4 . . . or 5)

Jeff Lewis

I'm starting a new thread for the Mare Nostrum component updates since the last one is on about page 4, and this will help cut down on sifting.

I encourage people to check out the map terrain sample I posted separately.

The Italians have some Mounted Units (MUs), too.

Motorcycle Units:

Motorcycle.jpg

Which, when dismounted, use Bersaglieri units.

And Horse Cavalry (used in East Africa):

Horse Cav.jpg

The Horse Cav, when dismounted, use 1st line Royal Army units. The Asterisked Morale does not apply when they are mounted.

For those who have not seen MUs in LnL yet, they were first used in Heroes of the Blitzkrieg. The Squad designation to the left of the Morale is the dismounted unit type. Once dismounted, you cannon re-mount.

Ralph Ferrari has designed an outstanding scenario, "Tank Alert!", which utilizes the Horse Cavalry to great effect. It quickly has become one of my favorite LnL scenarios. Here's the introductory text:

Keru, Eritrea; January 21st, 1941
The British Gazelle Force, with help from the 4th Indian Infantry Division, was tasked to drive the Italians out of Keru. On the morning of January 21st, 1941, the Allied units were preparing to begin their offensive, but the Italian defenders had something else in mind. What ensued was the last recorded charge by cavalry against a British battery. Elements of the 144th Surrey and Sussex Yeomanry Field Regiment Royal Artillery were surprised by about sixty mounted Eritreans, led by an Italian officer, who charged, guns blazing. The battery, first thinking they were being attacked by tanks, replied with shell and small-arms fire.

Cavalry flanks a battery of 25-pdrs and charges. It's pretty cool.

Jim Zabek

A good problem to have - losing count of the threads you have on a game :)

A suggestion, perhaps? Entitle it Mare Nostrum as before, but distinguish it by subject: Mare Nostrum Italian and Cav Units

Or something like that? Will hopefully make it even easier to ID the thread someone is looking for.

Jeff Lewis

Hi Renzo,

Glad you like your Hero. I e-mailed it to you as well.

Best,
Jeff

Stefano G.

A Pair of Heroes:

View attachment 819

Bulli, a Royal Army/Bersaglieri Hero

View attachment 820

Velicogna, an Alpini Hero

Both are tough customers!

Fantastic counters! :happy:...i'll invite my opposing player to fire againts my RA or Alpini MMC stack just to spawn these great heroes counters!:cool:

Bulli's figure has a great heroic melee-fighting pose :)

Last edited:
More great counters, I like these updates as every one we see must mean the game is one step closer to arriving at my door.

My eyes may be failing me but Ltn Ries reminds me a bit of the robots from "I Robot"...

170px-Irobot_head.jpg
821-d92215930db7fdc5215e219ae61abe1f.jpg

Stefano G.

well...the left one seems to be lain in ambush: his pose inspires a "static" ready position with his crossed legs and make me think he had time and calm to well aim his target :cool:;
the right one is more dynamics pose and i well see him with his countrymen advance, just stopping to take aim, fire and move after.
So, my vote would be for the left one (i image sniper as a lone hunter) but i like the dynamism of the right one too...can i vote for both?:D

Last edited: