Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Max resolution

rocketman

What is the max resolution that this game can run in? I'm about to get a new computer and am thinking about getting a UHD screen.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
The biggest constraint is the size of the window background that we use. Currently that is 1920 x 1080 but if your screen is bigger it should try and scale it. Trouble is not all graphics drivers handle the scaling that well. On the up side though your UHD monitor is simply twice those dimensions. I would hazard a guess that this should not be a problem. If it turns out to be a problem, let me know and we can provide a bigger background image in the resources of the game.

rocketman

I now run the game engine on a 1920*1200 screen and the background scales to that without problem, so it might at even higher resolutions as well.

Shaun Yu

Has anyone tried running the game in 4K resolution? Since 4K is exactly 2x width and 2x height of 1080p, should there be a problem with scaling?

Shaun Yu

I just tried the game on a 4K monitor. The game loads. However, some dialogs were too narrow to contain all the content. Also the map cannot be zoom in; it will break into 4 parts. I think it is not handling the monitor width properly, wrapping around to create this effect. Even it I set the option to use 1920x1080, it did not help. Hopefully this can be looked into. Seems to me the width handling is not done properly for the map as well as all the dialogs.

rocketman

What resolution option did you use at startup? IIRC in another thread someone had this problem but I don't think it was on a 4K monitor, so it might still work with another setting.

Edit: saw now that you made a setting. Have you tried the "match screen resolution"?

Shaun Yu

Yes. I have tried match screen resolution to the same effect. I observed that if you zoom beyond the map width, it will start to wrap around. Zooming out is fine. I believe there is a bug in handling the case if the zoom is beyond the map width.

I have to set the font to 125% for daily usage. And this does not affect all the dialogs. Most affected is the control dialog and the force dialog. The rest seems ok. Seriously I think this game needs to handle font scaling going forward as qhd and 4K display are getting cheaper and more common in PC offerings. Some Ultrabook are already offering qhd like dell xps and Asus ux305

rocketman

I'm interested in that as well as my new laptop can scale up to 4K resolution.

Shadrach

Trying to play this game in 4K would be asking for problems. Either you would need a huge monitor, 30" or more, and sit really close, or use some kind of magnifying glasses... :rolleyes:

I play in 2560x1440 on a 27" and text in CO2 is already too small for me to be comfortable :watching:

Last edited:

Yskonyn

I got the game with the X-mas sale! Thanks for that deal, very nice. It had already been on my wishlist for quite a while.

I am trying to run the game on a 43" 4K monitor. The maps are vector graphics, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, and I prevent scaling to keep the text dialogs intact.
It effectively gives me a really big desktop space to work with in CO2, however there is one big problem:

The biggest problem is that all zoom scales work EXCEPT for the most zoomed-in scale. This will tear the map image apart and units, orders and crossing icons are keeping their distance in relation from their unit, but don't scale properly anymore on the map.
The map itself is also skewed and broken up with big grey rectangles. Scrolling the map doesn't work anymore either at this zoom level.

Apart from this I haven't experienced any other issues yet, but I would really appreciate a fix for the highest zoom level.

All the best and happy holidays for everyone!

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Thanks for letting us know. I don't have a 4K monitor I'm afraid. Can you please provide a screen dump of what it looks like at max zoom. Just hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard and it will copy the screen to the clipboard. Then open a paint program and paste it in, save it as a jpeg and post it here. Thanks.

Yskonyn

Here are the screendumps. The first image is at one level zoom before max, the second two are at max zoom and show the map artifacts. The objective, orders and bridge icons do not show at their correct locations, nor do the unit counters.
Also note the big grey 'bars' showing up when I try to shift the map a bit (3rd screenshot).
Slewing the map a bit further makes the bars disappear again, to show up irregularly while I keep slewing the map.
Hope this helps.
The resolution is 3840x2160. I am using a dual monitor setup, so the effective desktop area is 5490x2160.

CO2_Res1_Yskonyn.jpg CO2_Full_Zoom_Yskonyn.jpg CO2_Full_Zoom_Shift_Yskonyn.jpg

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Took a quick look at the map drawing code. I think the crossing and unit icons are correctly positioned. They appear to be scaled correctly. I suspect the problem lies in the off map drawing cache or some aspect of the map drawing code. This is not my area of expertise. It may take some time to track down, especially as we don't have such a big monitor let alone two of them. I'm going to be asking Pavlo to take a look at it but he won't be back from leave till mid January. So please be patient.

Last edited: