Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Melee Question

coolcorn

If I have a stack of units in melee, held over from last turn, and I use my impulse to continue the melee, does the opponent then get a chance to disengage on their impulse? Or are they "locked" into melee since I initiated a second round?

In case I'm being obtuse...

Turn 1, ARVN impulse: stack moves into VC's hex, both sides roll for melee. Both sides are then locked in melee for the rest of the turn.
Turn 2, ARVN wins initiative, has the first impulse: initiates second round of melee with the VC. Are the VC still locked in melee or can they attempt to leave? And, since the ARVN stack was activated to continue the melee, could they then still fire Opp Fire?

Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions :)

Qwirz

Nope. You can attempt to withdraw ONLY if the melee has not been already fought this turn. And if you fail, the melee MUST be immediately fought.
Units under a Melee marker cannot do anything....other than melee!

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
These are not dumb questions.

The third paragraph of Section 8.1 states "Units that wish to withdraw must announce their intention at the beginning of their next impulse (Before they are once again engaged in melee by the opposing player) ...." Since the ARVN uses an impulse to continue the melee before the VC uses an impulse to withdraw, the VC player is stuck in melee for this turn.

The act of using their impulse to continue the melee, represents their action for that turn, so they are not able to move, fire, or perform any other action for the remainder of the current turn.

Hope that all makes sense.

coolcorn

Makes perfect sense! And is basically how I had been playing it. Thanks for the quick clarification! Now I can continue my game in progress ;)